New member with saw issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

that guy

Ditch Digger
Reaction score
I finally joined after using this forum for a long time to get "real" saw reviews and repair tips.

I'm a heavy equipment operator and electrician by trade. I also do firewood on the side. I started out cutting and hand splitting 50+ chords a year. I do considerably less now, but did acquire a splitter.

I work for a small construction company my family owns. We get into a lot of site clearing. I recently restored an 031 as a backup for a problematic ms280. We also have a 044 made in West Germany.

The 031 was shelved decades ago by my grandfather after finding out what it would cost to replace the handle and get it running again. The intent was to repair it someday. I got it all fixed up and looking good. It cuts great, idles, and crisp on the throttle. The issue is when turned on its side it won't rev up. It bogs and eventually dies. If revved up then turned on its side, I can cut as long as I keep the rpm up. Anyone have any clue why? It runs/cuts great upright. Also is there a remedy for the ms280 buffer issue? I'm getting tired of replacing buffers and intake boots.

Check the fuel line, they get soft with age and fold over when you turn them on thier side.

Can you change the tune so it runs on the current "bad side" and races on the "good side"? If so, a crank seal is bad

Yes there is a dude that makes stiffiners for the ms270/280 anti vibe bushings.can't remember who though.they are good saws just need improvements.

Thanks guys I'll check the fuel line again since I did swap the tank and I'll test for the crank seal today. I'm hoping it's the fuel line. Right now the ms280 is on the bench with a torn intake boot. I got a couple chords worth of locus to cut up. I'd rather rock the 044 anyway :rock:

Likely a crank seal. You'll need to pressure/vacuum test it to be sure. I'd certainly go to the trouble on that one, as it appears to be in very good cosmetic shape for its age.

Looks like I won't get around to testing the 031 today. Hopefully I'll have the day off tomorrow.
Does anyone know where I can get a set of stiffeners for the ms280? If not the saw will probably be put back together with oem buffers and listed for sale. I have no say in it, I just fix em.

there are two areas on a 31 that can be trouble. where athe fuel line goes out the top of the tank and sown to the carb if your not careful routing it it can get pinched vertically between the starter housing and carb box area if that makes sense. also the ground wire for the kill switch can rub through and ground in a same area and when the saw is in felling position it flexes on the av mounts and can cause these problems. the other comments are big time important too.

good luck

Back