new ms 261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I for got to ask. i ask my dealer about the 3/8 bar and chain he said they wouldnt recommend it because the cranknkshaft might no be able o take it. but i thing the 325 would be fine. i just need a small saw to do some smaller stuff. i got some big saws for other stuff. what are you guys opinions. only thing i dont like is they dont make a es bar for .325.

Mine runs 3/8's 18" b/c 75% and the other 3/8's 20" the rest of the time

I for got to ask. i ask my dealer about the 3/8 bar and chain he said they wouldnt recommend it because the cranknkshaft might no be able o take it. but i thing the 325 would be fine. i just need a small saw to do some smaller stuff. i got some big saws for other stuff. what are you guys opinions. only thing i dont like is they dont make a es bar for .325.

I have a 3/8 18" on mine and love it. Common word around here is it will pull it no problem; the debate is why you would want 3/8 on a smaller saw.
I myself did it for a 'dumb' reason- I just wanted to keep it simple (I have a 460 running 3/8, wanted to use the same file, ect)
Edit: I also kept the .325 rim and 20" b/c just in case I'm ever in a pinch.

Last edited:
Great thread being I grabbed a 261 this winter...lots a great info, would like to mod the muffler one day also. Nothing to add really, just I been digging my 261 since day one really. Not to hijack here but if I'm running 13000 at WOT(w/o any mods)is this too rich?

Dealer tach was reading 13000, thought it was good...

Last edited:
A co-worker has a stock 261 and it runs just fine with 3/8 - 16". I been telling him to do a MM.

Will a muffler mod make the saw much noisier?
Can an effective muffer mod be done that keeps the spark arresting screen?

Showing my mm ignorance, but don't want an overly loud saw or one that is going to start a fire in the woods.

Bob R

Back