New MS 880 Coil Swap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would be checking the timing on the 880 coil with a light then time the 441 coil to match....or a few degrees advanced. It sounds to me like the timing is off.

Not trying to be a buzz kill, just hoping to help. :)

Great idea if I can get ahold of a timing light my experience with them is next to none. Switching the coils back and forth is easy but I need some info on how to use the light. Would you remove the top cover so that you can look straight down at the flywheel fins while the saw is running? And what will the light give me a reading or am I counting something? Im guessing any automotive timing light would work? Just give me a little more detail and I will see what I can do. Anyone have a link to a video of someone doing this on a saw?

Thanks Mastermind this is why I posted the thread.

Great idea if I can get ahold of a timing light my experience with them is next to none. Switching the coils back and forth is easy but I need some info on how to use the light. Would you remove the top cover so that you can look straight down at the flywheel fins while the saw is running? And what will the light give me a reading or am I counting something? Im guessing any automotive timing light would work? Just give me a little more detail and I will see what I can do. Anyone have a link to a video of someone doing this on a saw?

Thanks Mastermind this is why I posted the thread.

We use a timing light with an advance dial. You need to find tdc with a degree wheel and piston stop.....then mark the flywheel and a matching mark on the base of the jug. Hook the light up using a battery and fire that mother up. :msp_ohmy:

With the saw at WOT use the dial to find total advance....on most Stihls I've found 31-32 degrees to be where they perform the best.

Bolted up perfect and the 441 coil even felt like it made it start better. Like I said, you got what you got for timing when you bolt the coil on the saw, unless you grind or remove the woodruff key.

hurry up ,i'm salivating that bad my keyboards starting to not work:still_dreaming:

OK already!!

[video=youtube;GG7yKg-nsbA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG7yKg-nsbA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Like I said running fine with the 441 coil idle is normal but in need of tune up throttle response is slow and no rev limit at top end but running rich as hell. I don't have a degree wheel or timing light so I thought a video would be the best then the big dogs could hear it. I think its fine just needs tuning.

so it may very well have a different advance set up to the 880 coil,but geez once you tune it i reakon it will be an animal:rock:

Right something changed the saw was in much better tune with the other coil, but its not missing and I can't recreate the pop I had last night I tried in the vid by loading it up, but now it seems to need a lean out and then let her rip. I just don't want to tune until muffler is done.. This poor thing is getting a lot of WOT lately. But if you notice compared to yours now the high point sounds like a really rich 4 stroke not a rapid rev up and down trying to go sound.

OK here is the latest and the last for the night.
I cut the limit caps on the carb and let the saw warmup about 5 min idling on the floor. As you can see from other threads I posted on I have trouble taching this saw because the slightest movement will throw the reading off but you can see the idle is 2700 2800 when I hit it right. The WOT is 12300 max the vid only shows it once but this was take 7 since I had the camera hanging by its tether off a bar stool to get the angle. (Boy I need Friends) It will consistantly hit around 12300 but I am out of lean adjustment on the carb WOW. The saw still isn't perfectly tuned but the screw is pinned tight clockwise and I hear room yet. After the dual port exhaust I think it will be right on the money.. Listen and watch what do you guys think..

Stihl MS 880 Modified - YouTube

just thinking you got some thing else going on with that carb,if you have the h screw all the way in and its still doing that at wot,maybe the carb has some kind of limmiter..............sort of sounds like it:msp_confused: I hope they dont have

Last edited:
Is there something to look for in a carb that works as a rev limiter or govenor? Maybe the carb will also need to be swapped out with a older 880 carb. Cahoon is obviously not running the stock carb on his race saw maybe thats why the coil works better for him.

Back