Late 880 flywheel and 441 coil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cord

Reaction score
Building an early aluminum muffler 880. This saw is very close to the 088 I have and most parts exchange between the two models. The coil and fuel caps are the two exceptions that I know of. I had purchased a 441 coil as it was well documented this coil would offer a higher limit than the stock coil the 880 came with. I now wonder if those posters were referencing late model 880's and not early. It would seem the break between "early" and "late" would be the change to a two-piece muffler. I need to replace my existing poly flywheel due to fin breakage and I can't find a good used one so when a person approached me with an 880 flywheel I was interested. Unfortunately, the part #1124 400 1201 didn't match the 1124 400 1210 my 880 came with. Looking at the coil that I purchased, I see that it has the late two-bolt mount. It would appear the mounting points are similar to the three-bolt mount I currently have. Does anybody know if this coil will swap into my early three-bolt saw? Per the attached document, it would appear Stihl changed the flywheel at the same time as the coil. Can somebody verify the 1124 400 1201 flywheel is OK to swap into my early saw? I fear there is something unique like the key being shifted or something else minor that would lead to a running issue.

Attachments

• 880tech (1).pdf
    326.6 KB · Views: 0
Building an early aluminum muffler 880. This saw is very close to the 088 I have and most parts exchange between the two models. The coil and fuel caps are the two exceptions that I know of. I had purchased a 441 coil as it was well documented this coil would offer a higher limit than the stock coil the 880 came with. I now wonder if those posters were referencing late model 880's and not early. It would seem the break between "early" and "late" would be the change to a two-piece muffler. I need to replace my existing poly flywheel due to fin breakage and I can't find a good used one so when a person approached me with an 880 flywheel I was interested. Unfortunately, the part #1124 400 1201 didn't match the 1124 400 1210 my 880 came with. Looking at the coil that I purchased, I see that it has the late two-bolt mount. It would appear the mounting points are similar to the three-bolt mount I currently have. Does anybody know if this coil will swap into my early three-bolt saw? Per the attached document, it would appear Stihl changed the flywheel at the same time as the coil. Can somebody verify the 1124 400 1201 flywheel is OK to swap into my early saw? I fear there is something unique like the key being shifted or something else minor that would lead to a running issue.
There are numerous threads on this and to answer your question, yes the coil swap was done on the later 880 which was released back in 2009/2010, pressed steel muffler version

Hello I am having the same exact trouble where you able to to use the newer model ms 880 aluminum flywheel or did you have to purchase an older poly flywheel ? Are they different timing or just different material ?

Latest posts

Back