New ms200T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TREETX

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I just got home with my new ms200T.

Still an empty tank, fresh outta the box. Any tips/pointers for breaking in this new saw??

Anything I should remove/modify??

I am actually going to sit down and read the manual now.

As always - thanks

Nate

Where did you buy it where it is fresh out of the box and an empty tank. Didn't they service and adjust it?
Stevie

uuhhhh, no :rolleyes:

The local dealer. It was a sales guy who sent it out, the chainbrake was giving this guy a problem just slapping the bar on.

Adjust it?? The idle???

Should I be heading back???

Actually, I wanted a 16" bar since I have a stock pile of new chains with 55 drivers for my 020T. They had the bar, but no 16" chain to boot. He said they wouldn't run it w/out a chain so they couldn't "check it out".

I asked what that entails, and he said just "puttin' oil 'n' gas in it 'n' starting it up"

I though,"hhhmmmmm, I think I can handle that...."

Dude,
You went to a dealer and paid dealer prices, take it back and tell them to set the saw up!
This should include putting in fresh gas, oil putting on a chain and seeing that you leave the store with a well running saw. If they can’t take the time to do that, what is the point of going to a dealer.
In fact at this point, I would be seriously questioning if I went to the right dealer. It serves both yours and his interest for you to leave with a properly functioning piece of equipment.

Just my thoughs, I could be wrong!

man i know what u talkin... ive had to help a counter guy put my chain back on...
now everybodies gotta start some where ... but that dont exactly inspire a lotto confidense in the shop...
or go in and ask if they got .50 ,3/8
20 inch full chisel chain. the man brings out a safety chain chipper,, and says here ,see if this will fit u saw.
likei said ,people gotta start somewhere. but my back aint got enough left to educate a new man.
i have found a pretty good shop,, finally tho....dry as a bone ,and about as friendly,, as a millionaires spoiled kid, but they do know their stuff.

TREETX,
Did the counter guy at least fill out the warranty card?
Listen to the other guys about taking it back to get set up correctly, as they may also try to get out of doing any repairs under warranty.
My local dealer almost threw me out of the store, when I purchased my 026 from him and didn't feel like waiting to get the saw assembled and tested. He said that he could loose his dealership if he did that!

My Stihl dealer would never let a saw go out the door without fully assembling it, put half a tank of gas and half a tank of bar oil in it. What your dealer did was plain laziness, how can they register the warrantee without running it? Personally I would prefer to break in the saw with a 14” bar.

My stihl dealer is an idiot. I wouldn't want to pay for a saw if he put gas in it or started it up. If he futzed with the jets, it would be garbage.:(

This saw responds very well to muffler mods. Just opening the muffler will reduce cut times in half. You may want someone qualified to do it though, as mentioned the carb is not easily adjustable.

SilverBlue,

I usually go to Bradford Rental. Good bunch of guys that know their stuff.

Originally posted by Toneman
SilverBlue,

I usually go to Bradford Rental. Good bunch of guys that know their stuff.

I will have to check them out if I’m in the area. I deal with the chainsaw clinic, probably the oldest established dealer in the GTA.
They always give better prices too.

Mike is right about the muffler mod, best thing you could do for the 200T

Originally posted by Mike Maas
My stihl dealer is an idiot. I wouldn't want to pay for a saw if he put gas in it or started it up.

Yes to the warranty card. I was sure to ask for that.

This guy asked if I was with a company, ie- proffessional use, and knocked $60 off the normal list price. I told the other #1 big dealer in town the same and he was higher than the normal list price ($500:eek: )

This saw has the high and low adjustments but as the manual says, there is a reason they are called "fixed jets". There is a very limited amount of adjustment.

I have seen guys at the "big store" here in town checking saws and weedwackers out. It was some highschool kid pulling them outta the box, gassin' them up, and then dogging on the throttle for a minute.

I miss my old dealer. Had a store here for 50yrs before he died. That old man knew a thing or 2 about saws.....customers too. If you had a problem, he would listen to you, help you right then if it was a quick fix - free of charge. A whole lot better than some guy who can't work a chainbrake tagging my saw and abandoning her to sit in a pile with lesser saws :p

Thanks for your input.....I'm learning......:rolleyes:

Just the kind of dealer that pisses me off!:angry:
Lets not get too worried about those caps just yet. Get some fresh 50 to 1 in it, I hope it is Stihl mix, and get some run time on it. They tend to run much better then.

Originally posted by TREETX
I miss my old dealer. Had a store here for 50yrs before he died. That old man knew a thing or 2 about saws.....customers too.

Did I mention my old dealer was a saw shop?? None left here in Austin. Now I have to fight my way past rows of lawnmowers and weedwackers just to find a saw. Then I end up knowing more about the saw than the dealer :confused:

Just the kind of dealer that pisses me off!

The one thing I can say in this guy's favor is that he admitted he didn't know it all. I will gas it up in the morning and give her a little light duty - then I may head to the shop and talk to the mechanic there.

My dad just told me that when he bought his 026, the guy hooked a tack or something to it and "optimized" how the saw ran.

Again - Thanks

Nate

Stihl 200T

Hello TreeTX,
I've modified 2 ms200t climbing saws, Both of the ones I've modified had both low and high speed needles but you have to alter the adjustment limiters. These saws are extreamly well built but the New mufflers are junk. they are extreamlyhard to get apart, Four cap screws hold the two sides of the mufflers together and they are assembled with red loctite. If you try to heat the cap screws you will melt the muffler housing so you have to drill the screws out. Inside the muffler there is a interlacing set of fingers on each side of the muffler. Frankly , I dont see how the saw will run with that set-up, then the exhaust flow goes over to the far side of the muffler and makes a 180 degree turn and then exits thru a 1/8 by 1/2 inch outlet. you'll need to make a opening in the side of the muffler 1.25 to 1.5 times the size of the exhaust port at the piston side of the barrel. If you have a 20t muffler you should see if it will fits. I would recommend 100% synthetic oil at 32-1 I use maxima K-2. you can get it at the motorcycle shops. Yes Its expensive but well worth it
ken
[email protected]

Them stihl carbs are hard to adjust with them plastic rev-limiters installed in the end of the jets......All saw shops have a little tool that they can take them out with and adjust your carb......It is against the law for them to leave them out though.....they must put them back in....(although I have never heard of anybody going to jail over it ! )....I suggest finding a saw shop where they aren't too busy to help you.......they never seem too busy to take your money though !........Hummmm......anyhow those types of places are getting harder and harder to find......and good luck finding a saw shop who has a friendly attitude anymore......:blob2:

Back