New MS362 Vs. New MS391

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RacerX

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've been comparing these two saws and I'm trying to understand why there's a $150 difference in price. They both a recommended to run the same chain, have almost the same rated power (although the MS362 can take you up to a 25" bar, I'm looking to run a 20"), and MS362 is a little lighter.

The MS362 is listed as a Professional Use saw, the MS391 is listed as a Mid-Range Use saw (whatever that means). Is there a big difference in build quality between the two?

The MS362 has a decompression valve, is this really a worthwhile feature?

Thanks guys. :)

Big difference is one has more metal and little plastic (362) and the other is more plastic and little metal (391). They are both strato engines, but the basic construction is still the same as the 361 and 290/310/390. One has a removable cylinder and the other is a clamshell engine.

I have a 361 and a 290 and the 361 is a much better saw. But, I use the 290 for most of my cutting. Both are good saws and will last a long time. The 361/362 would be a lot easier to replace the piston/cylinder when that time comes. I just did that on my 290 and you have to disassemble the saw. On the 290/310/390 (311/391), the engine bolts to the plastic "engine housing" - using the same bolts that bolt the engine halves together. This requires taking everything off the saw down to the bare "engine housing". The cylinder on the 361/362 just bolts onto the crankcase with four bolts and is a lot easier to get off and on.

If you do much cutting the extra $150 is worth it. If not then a 290 or 391 would work. If you are wanting to just use a 20" bar, you could get a 290 and open up the muffler and save even more money. That is why I use my 290 more than my 361, a lot of my cutting is done with a 20" bar - the 361 has a "25" bar (which is really a 84 drive link 24" bar - with only 23 1/2" usable - that 25" is 25" of bar that is visable).

Fog

you will be happy with either one....but with the 362, you will never look back and wish you have got the other one....

I don't think a 150USD difference is much, considering how different they really are. Similarities are mostly superficial, and the weight difference is enough alone to justify the difference.....

If you can still find one, get a MS361 over both!

Soon the 261, 271 and 291 will appear as well, and I am sure the 261 will be a lighter and much better saw than the other two.

I would pay the extra 150 for the 362 myself.

I bought a new 361 and was not impressed with it at all. Ran a 362 and really liked it.

361 is twice the saw the 390 is. So I would say the 362 will be the same over the 391. I just don't like a 390. Just Don't balance right for me.

361 is twice the saw the 390 is. So I would say the 362 will be the same over the 391. I just don't like a 390. Just Don't balance right for me.
I agree the 390 doesn't feel right, but I have no experience with the 391 in that regard - and I don't really want to have that experience either!

To add to the disgust for non-pro models (of any brand really), there have been posts about MS391 air filtration problems on another saw site, and Stihl agreed to take those saws back - probably to investigate.

Sure was, saw is'nt near what it's hyped up to be on this site. Other than that it ran fine.

Well we have 361 and 362 (actually my brother has the 362) - and frankly there is not much difference other than the 362 being shiny ! In fact the 360 is not much different either. By far my favorite saw is the 361 of any of them. (well that or the 200T)

Last edited:
Well we have 361 and 362 (actually my brother has the 362) - and frankly there is not much difference other than the 362 being shiny ! In fact the 360 is not much different either. By far my favorite saw is the 361 of any of them. (well that or the 200T)

You should have tried a German made 361 then - they are not the same as the US ones!

Well most of my saws are German made, as we do not get U.S. saws (other than the lower end saws which are not German made).

Oooops - I didn't see you are in Canada - maybe you should spell Ontario out in your profile, if that is where you are????

Anyway, Canadian sold Stihls from the 361 and down doesn't fit the usual GE vs. US picture, same with the OZ sold ones - but I guess you know that! :cheers:

Oooops - I didn't see you are in Canada - maybe you should spell Ontario out in your profile, if that is where you are????

Anyway, Canadian sold Stihls from the 361 and down doesn't fit the usual GE vs. US picture, same with the OZ sold ones - but I guess you know that! :cheers:

Yep. I can spell Ontario out if it helps..

US one's better build qulity, Euro ones more hp. Hi Troll!

Well, I haven't found any quality issues on my 2004 MS361, unless a handlebar tubing with a few blemishes count (metal handlebar on that one, as it is heated).

Oppps - one more, the cover over the chainbrake spring is plastic - not good when a chain derails, but doesn't really matter!

That is all, pretty good for a 6 year old saw! :cheers:

US one's better build qulity, Euro ones more hp. Hi Troll!

Our 361's actually were German built, and they did have a fractional amount of more hp now that you mention it. But if I remember correctly it was only about 1/10th of a hp difference.

Quality wise.. :) We have a 361 from the U.S. that I picked up from eBay.. don't see a big quality advantage on it vs the German one..

We also never had some of the saws the U.S. have like Farm Boss or Wood Boss on our saws. Although we have the same models as these saws.. ie: 391, etc.. but without the "Boss" designations.

And we never had the 260 Pro (our 260 was essentially the same as the U.S. Pro - without the designations). Interesting how they market from country to country.

U.S. does have higher emission standards than do we. Some items are impacted such as automobiles as it is less costly to build them all to the one standard (although California autos do have some additional items or different parts on them - you can see the two listed in parts manuals). But.. other items with small engines, particularly those built in Europe do not necessarily have the same market advantage by using same in Canada and U.S. hence we get German saws on shelves. (automobiles is in part due to shipping costs I assume, as well as left hand drive vs a lot of right hand drive around the world).

Last edited:

Quality wise.. :) We have a 361 from the U.S. that I picked up from eBay.. don't see a big quality advantage on it vs the German one..

I believe the "quality difference" statements are based on some service statistics that StihlUSA have published, and not on a difference you will notise when handling or using the saws - just regard it as a joke! :givebeer:

I believe the "quality difference" statements are based on some service statistics that StihlUSA have published, and not on a difference you will notise when handling or using the saws - just regard it as a joke! :givebeer:

That would be correct, which means my 361 is better than yours,LOLOL

That would be correct, which means my 361 is better than yours,LOLOL

Not necessarily. Unless products are run/tested under a carefully laid out (and controlled) process/procedure, how can one say the stats have any real meaning.

The users were different, under different conditions. And the repair shops were different, applying perhaps slightly different analysis and techniques.

Not sure, but unless things are controlled then frankly statistics can be made to say anything the publisher wants them to say. We used to say "figures can lie and liars can figure".. :)

My MS361 German made and U.S. made run in similar environment, have similar regular maintenance, go to same repair shop... and guess what.. are similar in what they need for repairs! (the U.S. one did need a clutch that the German made one has not .. but hey it was purchased 2nd hand so it still is not a properly controlled environment for decent analysis or statistics)

The saw that I have that needs the most work - is U.S. made.. the MS170. But frankly I simply place that to it being a POS to begin with regardless of where it is made.

As for the 361 stats.. one could turn it around and say the German technicians were more comprehensive or thorough than their U.S. counterparts and simply found issues the other technicians overlooked. One can take any information they want, and make it look like anything they want - unless it is carefully controlled.

Last edited:
Back