New MS460 Where to start?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STIHLY

Reaction score
I just got a new MS460 and would like to beef it up little. What mods should I start with? Muffler? Porting? Squish? What is Walkerizing? Also, what is the best chain for cutting hardwood. Full chisel? Full skip?

Oh boy!!!!!!! This will be fun wont it!!!!!!!! You have to remeber, you did start this Dan:popcorn:

Go see the dealer and get the dual port myffler cover nd have them tune the saw for that. Thats a good start.

"Walkerizing" used to be port an muffler job, then it was just an opened muffler. Not sure if they do that anymore even.

Porting means to widen the ports on the saw and change the intake and exauhst timming.

Do some searching and a lot of reading, it's all here, you just have to look a little.

A dual port muffler cover will open up the saw a little bit. EPA regulations limit the saws exhaust, hence limit (lean) fuel. So larger exhaust will require more gas = more power. Order a factory dual port cover part#1128 140 0801 and have the stihl tech richin the saw up. carb caps will need to be removed. make sure you have them tach the saw. Good choice 460 is a good saw
dpcover.jpg

Add the dual port cover and enlarge the small exhaust exit hole on the right side of the muffler. Usually pulling the base gasket will leave you with .016-.018 squish, which is a few thou too tight. You want .020-.025 squish.

Add the dual port cover and enlarge the small exhaust exit hole on the right side of the muffler. Usually pulling the base gasket will leave you with .016-.018 squish, which is a few thou too tight. You want .020-.025 squish.

Good advice but you can enlarge the DP cover and save taking off the rear half.:cheers:

A dual port muffler cover will open up the saw a little bit. EPA regulations limit the saws exhaust, hence limit (lean) fuel. So larger exhaust will require more gas = more power. Order a factory dual port cover part#1128 140 0801 and have the stihl tech richin the saw up. carb caps will need to be removed. make sure you have them tach the saw. Good choice 460 is a good saw
dpcover.jpg

This saw needs to be leaned out, running too rich. I can smell the exhaust from over here.

Last edited:
The 044 440 & 460 can be opened up this much but it will run on at idle & will be to lean unless the pop off pressure is checked & adjusted to 19 psi. :chainsaw: I use Moldex ear plugs & Peltor 105 muffs togather. Without the use of both puts it quite a few db over osha's min. recommended noise level of 89 db.

The 044 440 & 460 can be opened up this much but it will run on at idle & will be to lean unless the pop off pressure is checked & adjusted to 19 psi. :chainsaw: I use Moldex ear plugs & Peltor 105 muffs togather. Without the use of both puts it quite a few db over osha's min. recommended noise level of 89 db.

Race saw?

Race saw?
- Na just my firewood get er. Woods ported, no work to transfers or the base. 8 pin ,20" cannon ,066 dawgs. I also run a 25" ES bar on the thing but use full skip when I do . Pics are kinda small dont have the best photo resizer.

Latest posts

Back