New MS462 C-M...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they come out with a 462 that has the weight savings of the new generation 261 & 362, and the clean air filter technology used in the 362, I would be very interested in such a saw. However, I would prefer if it had MTronic. It is nice to be able to cut here (close to sea level), then go to my property (over 2,000 ft) and not have to fiddle with the tune. Ditto if the temp changes from 20s in the am to 60s in the pm.

When I PU a saw I want to cut with it, not tune it.

I like my 2 so much I just bought another.

#461livesmatter
lol that's great....hey have you put a dual port muffler on any of yours.... mine is still stock believe it or not.... I have seen were people are saying that they aren't getting much gain from it, so I have bought one yet... any thoughts on this anyone???

lol that's great....hey have you put a dual port muffler on any of yours.... mine is still stock believe it or not.... I have seen were people are saying that they aren't getting much gain from it, so I have bought one yet... any thoughts on this anyone???

All mine have stickers on them, are loud, and are rough on mix.

3b8b76271dd3c0cdf7478c88ca27821a.jpg

My saw time has been limited this season due to my main job.

I'm probably not a good one to axe.

All mine have stickers on them, are loud, and are rough on mix.

3b8b76271dd3c0cdf7478c88ca27821a.jpg

My saw time has been limited this season due to my main job.

I'm probably not a good one to axe.
Lol, I don't make my main living with a saw either, but I am 110% obsessed with them....so you have 2-saws that have been monkeyed with... I sure would love to run one, or just a decent ported saw at all.... no one that I know has a properly ported saw... of course in my chainsaw infatuation I have "ported" a few myself, but that is a while different story lol....

Anyway that's and awesome saw in the pic for sure!!!!

I would put a dp muffler cover on that saw an pull the carb limiters ASAP. 461s are great saws, but to meet emissions, the piston gets very hot (they have a special internal saddle to cool the piston). After you pull the carb limiters, start at 3/4 out on the low and 1 + 1/16 out on the high, and you should be very close to good.

This will help your saw to run cooler and last longer, and will also give you a little extra power.

I would put a dp muffler cover on that saw an pull the carb limiters ASAP. 461s are great saws, but to meet emissions, the piston gets very hot (they have a special internal saddle to cool the piston). After you pull the carb limiters, start at 3/4 out on the low and 1 + 1/16 out on the high, and you should be very close to good.

This will help your saw to run cooler and last longer, and will also give you a little extra power.
what double port cover and how do I pull the limiters?

Lol, I don't make my main living with a saw either, but I am 110% obsessed with them....so you have 2-saws that have been monkeyed with... I sure would love to run one, or just a decent ported saw at all.... no one that I know has a properly ported saw... of course in my chainsaw infatuation I have "ported" a few myself, but that is a while different story lol....

Anyway that's and awesome saw in the pic for sure!!!!

There are 3 of those.

I hear Jamestown, Tn will have more than the already full amount of "Ported" saws in 1 month: you should googleit.

Yeah, 461's are terribly unreliable, I heard they are 20 hour saws... that chitty 1128 platform hasn't been around long :innocent:

BaHaHaHaHa Cobby.

Would you please call me with the 88 care package total you sent to Ol' Bad Nuts?

There are 3 of those.

I hear Jamestown, Tn will have more than the already full amount of "Ported" saws in 1 month: you should googleit.
Lol my family is from Jamestown and pallmall....3 of them, I bet you smile every time you are in the woods lmao!!!

Lol my family is from Jamestown and pallmall....3 of them, I bet you smile every time you are in the woods lmao!!!

I haven't been in the woods in so long it is embarrassing.

I plan to change that post-haste.

Edit:
Added a hyphen for the Rhodes Scholar. I've seen it all 3 ways.

Yeah, 461's are terribly unreliable, I heard they are 20 hour saws... that chitty 1128 platform hasn't been around long :innocent:

your a stihl guy so i already know your walking into this blinded. doesn't really matter though. i would say they are reliable enough but you would be very surprised how many have died young. heck i was surprised after hearing everyone here say they are the new 660 which they aren't even close by the way. i've owned many many 660's and still own a few. turds stock but very usable ported. i owned one 461 and it's already gone. kept the 460 lol

what double port cover and how do I pull the limiters?

dual port muffler covers for 440/460/461 are available on ebay at very reasonable prices, it is an easy bolt on replacement of the OEM cover.

The carb limiters are plastic things in the carb adjustment screws that limit your adjustment (to 3/4 turn on the Hi). Generally, (after removing the carb) use a sheet rock screw to pull them, cut the tabs off, then re insert them. After starting the sheet rock screw, the Hi should be rotated all the way counter clockwise to line up the tab to pull the limiter, the Lo should only be rotated 1/4 turn left to line up the tab.

I haven't been in the woods in so long it is embarrassing.

I plan to change that post-haste.

Edit:
Added a hyphen for the Rhodes Scholar. I've seen it all 3 ways.
LOL, get your AS$ in the woods!!!

No I know how life can get on the way of saws, but I am cutting a atleast 1-2 days a week on my slowest week....anyway when you do get out, snap few pics, like seeing the your saws!!!

dual port muffler covers for 440/460/461 are available on ebay at very reasonable prices, it is an easy bolt on replacement of the OEM cover.

The carb limiters are plastic things in the carb adjustment screws that limit your adjustment (to 3/4 turn on the Hi). Generally, (after removing the carb) use a sheet rock screw to pull them, cut the tabs off, then re insert them. After starting the sheet rock screw, the Hi should be rotated all the way counter clockwise to line up the tab to pull the limiter, the Lo should only be rotated 1/4 turn left to line up the tab.
I was able to get them out with a dental pick without pulling the carb (although I did lose one)

I am not blinded. I WAS absolutely blinded when I first got into the game and still I will fall for the creamsicles. This is the way I look at it; I assume you are a Hooski guy (pure assumption) and this is going to be a Chevy vs Ford problem. I have tried searching for reoccurring problems that were not operator flaws or straight up defects. So from the posts I've read on this site everyone always likes the old previous versions more because they are more reliable. Which why wouldn't they? They were able to have so much raw fuel oil mix in the bottom end they could get YEARS of usage. EPA has now noticed this and manufactures have had to adjust or get out. So you complain about a 461 which was basically a 460 that they did the very least to to make it pass these standards, erased the 0 on the end and drew a 1. Its the same dino platform that has been around forever. They DO have to have deflector for the wrist pin due to the fact they are running more lean then before and the idea of delayed scavenging. Its what they had to do to make it pass emissions and still keep it as "original." So we aren't dumb; more heat=less life I get that, but I don't see where your coming from when your saying that the 461 is a flaw? I mean especially when 372's are not even lasting 12 months in this area for average loggers. I'm not going to disagree with your comment on 46's being more reliable then 461's so don't twist it into that but the 461 (In my opinion which isn't anything as I am blinded) is still a rock solid reliable saw. We all wish saws would last forever but its not going to happen. How long did your 461 last? What was the failure?

I am not blinded. I WAS absolutely blinded when I first got into the game and still I will fall for the creamsicles. This is the way I look at it; I assume you are a Hooski guy (pure assumption) and this is going to be a Chevy vs Ford problem. I have tried searching for reoccurring problems that were not operator flaws or straight up defects. So from the posts I've read on this site everyone always likes the old previous versions more because they are more reliable. Which why wouldn't they? They were able to have so much raw fuel oil mix in the bottom end they could get YEARS of usage. EPA has now noticed this and manufactures have had to adjust or get out. So you complain about a 461 which was basically a 460 that they did the very least to to make it pass these standards, erased the 0 on the end and drew a 1. Its the same dino platform that has been around forever. They DO have to have deflector for the wrist pin due to the fact they are running more lean then before and the idea of delayed scavenging. Its what they had to do to make it pass emissions and still keep it as "original." So we aren't dumb; more heat=less life I get that, but I don't see where your coming from when your saying that the 461 is a flaw? I mean especially when 372's are not even lasting 12 months in this area for average loggers. I'm not going to disagree with your comment on 46's being more reliable then 461's so don't twist it into that but the 461 (In my opinion which isn't anything as I am blinded) is still a rock solid reliable saw. We all wish saws would last forever but its not going to happen. How long did your 461 last? What was the failure?
Well Only time will tell on reliability of any saw.... and who knows if the bottom end is getting that much more heat than the 460 did....it is hard to tell how much fuel the "ramp/flange" is getting to the bottom end....could be the less, more, or equal to what the 460 had..... now I am not making a claim that the 461 will be as reliable as the 460, but only TIME will tell...

The dual port cover does not make that big of a difference..ive tried it.

I have 2 of them and i kinda dicked with exhaust openings for a while..you dont need a dual port cover , an enlarged stock opening is enough.

Its nice to get some heat out of the saw...but the performance bump is nothin to speak of.

hell man, i had no complaints about my 461 beside vibrations lol mine was ported and tune to 16k. the vibrations at that tune must be a high pitch that bothered me as i can get away with running a 660 and not be bothered by it. run the 461 and i can feel it half way up to my elbow. if you read the thread you will see i only reported findings by a local dealer in the failures he has been finding with them. also the fact that there are alot of dead 461's in logging camps here. were there alot of dead 460's too? i'm not sure as i didn't log back then. i'll tell you right now, i like both stihl and husky. 372's are lasting better for guys then the 461. only put 175-180 tanks through mine before i traded it away so i can only go by other guys close to me experiences. i only traded it cause i knew i wasn't gonna use it anymore and it was worth as much as it ever will be. my honest opinion is that the 066/660 might just be the best saw ever made when it comes to reliability and performance (ported) in the job i do. i've hopped around alot between many models and have went back to the 390 husky which is what i started with. they will beat a 660 in everything except reliability of course. there are things i like about both and i wish they could be combined to make the ultimate saw.

Back