New ms660 ms460 3/4 wrap handle warning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Some of you may have noticed that the 3/4 wraps on the Stihl 460 and 660 go further down now towards the bottom. A local faller here was in camp and using a new saw when he had the tips of his gloves shredded and grabbed a bit by the chain. Could have been really bad. No injury, but scary. Its a bad set up for that now. The aftermarket full wraps are a safer handle. Just wanted to give out a heads up to those running them. Maybe someone has a picture of it to compare.

Dave.

I would appreciate a picture if anyone has one. I have been considering/wanting a 3/4 wrap for a while now.

We use the Stihl 3/4 wrap on our 066...but it also has the the extended clutch cover and rubber chip deflector...you need the extended cover with yer fingers on that side of the saw Brother...:cheers:

That is with the larger clutch cover, that is all they sell here. Problem is, if I hold the corner of the new wrap, I can grab the edge of the clutch cover and curl my fingers in. You couldn't do that with the shorter wrap curl. It is kind of a stupid thing to do, but it used to be safe. This was just what an experienced faller got caught off guard with it. Dave.

I've noticed that as well. Wasn't the 441 the first to get the "new style" 3/4 wrap?

When I get mine in I will post a pic, but I have nothing to compare it to.

sounds like not paying attention to where his hands are, not a safety issue with the equipment. Its possible to touch a moving chain in alot more places than that! Being aware of what you are doing is not the fault of the handle design. It would be just as possible to stick ones fingers in when grabbing the lower part of a full wrap husky style bar

sounds like not paying attention to where his hands are, not a safety issue with the equipment. Its possible to touch a moving chain in alot more places than that! Being aware of what you are doing is not the fault of the handle design. It would be just as possible to stick ones fingers in when grabbing the lower part of a full wrap husky style bar

I agree its not paying enough attention, but I don't think the Husky compares at all, just sliding your hand around the handle while its running on the new Stihl is where it could grab your glove tip, it also wouldn't help to have long fingers or big gloves.

Dave.

yeah, I suppose not exactly the same; I'm just saying that its not the saws fault if you stick your fingers in there no matter what saw.

Yep, ten years later, you got him, good job. Worthy effort, over a decade in the making.
IT wasnt about a wrap handle moron...i was saying him selling and a ebay link to his store in every post..PAY ATTENTION before opening pie hole

USMC FOREVER AND STIHL SAWS LONG LIVE BOTH!
What you wouldn't know is that at the time I was NOT a sponsor when I posted this. When I become a sponsor it adds my store signature to all the posts I have ever done. I am a sponsor now, why are you going after a sponsor in both my listing in the classifieds by calling my saw for sale a boatanchor and not long lasting and now digging up this old post to again go after a sponsor of this site that you are looking through. Find something else to do. I PAY to be here.

Dave

What you wouldn't know is that at the time I was NOT a sponsor when I posted this. When I become a sponsor it adds my store signature to all the posts I have ever done. I am a sponsor now, why are you going after a sponsor in both my listing in the classifieds by calling my saw for sale a boatanchor and not long lasting and now digging up this old post to again go after a sponsor of this site that you are looking through. Find something else to do. I PAY to be here.

Dave
He's wound up over something. Ought to be a minium age or maturity level to join.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back