New (old) Ripsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glennschumann

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well, I've kept my eyes open for one so I can actually make 1x's and 2x's without wasting tons of time and sawdust with the usual CSM, so this is what I found... Interesting in that it isn't like any of the other ones I've seen... comes with a Tecumseh power head (TC 300) attached, and has a spring loaded tensioning mechanism, and a cutting width of only about 10". It is like brand new, and came with two sections of rail (with the connecting piece and anchoring pieces) and some spare knobs and such. It runs well, but the band needs to be replaced / sharpened. Best thing is that the (very little) $ that I spent for it went to a local Boy Scout troup via a rummage sale where this was donated, and was being run by a scout working on his Eagle badge.

Does anybody know if this is an "early" model that came with the engine, or anything else about this style v.s. the machines sold now? What is the little rubber wheel good for that seems to rub against the upper part of the band on the "front" of the saw (in line with the upper blade guard)?

What do you recommend for replacement bands... I'm new to the BS side of milling. Happy viewing! Anybody got a cant they need cut? : )

Whoo Hoo!

View attachment 187839
View attachment 187840
View attachment 187841
View attachment 187842

No idea bout it at all or anything Ripsaw, but looks like a neat lil mill. I too am a newer mill owner, just a lil bigger, and its addictive...........be careful.......

i'm not overly familiar with ripsaws, but a friend of mine has one. i think you're spot on in guessing it's an early one, perhaps a real early one. i'd contact the company (they're still in business i believe) and ask them about your saw. they should have replacement bands for ya to try out too. pretty sweet score. let us know how you like it.
:cool2:

RipSaw has a website, Ripsaw portable sawmills - welcome and there is a phone number for the company. Give them a call. It is a small operation but they have been very helpful to me in the past. I think that is an old one as it has the 10" throat as the newer ones are 14" but I've never seen one without the chainsaw power head before. You can probably get blades from the company as well. I'm not sure if it takes the standard blade or not but you can ask them. You could also special order them from Suffolk Machinery as they custom build blades of all types. You just need the length and other details. You may be able to sharpen the one blade you have with a Dremel tool and a diamond bit. I sharpen mine when they get dull but they don't last very long after sharpening in my experience. Just run the bit up the inside of the gullet to the tip all along the blade. It usually cleans them up enough to cut another 1/2 log or so; sometimes more.

Back