new or used

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gobucks

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking to purchase saw for home use. Using it mainly for light removals (don't really feel comfortable with anything over about 18"- 20" but most in the 12" - 16" range) and storm clean-up - not going to need to use it a lot but want something with a little bit of ass (50-60 cc) and want to keep it around $100 - $150. Been looking mainly at used Stihls since that's I've always used and I like them. Three questions - 1. Is this a resonable price range for what I'm looking for? 2. Am I better off with a used Stihl or Husqvarna than a new Poulan or similar brand? 3. Is there a reliable internet seller of used saws? Some of the used stuff I've seen on the internet seems way over priced. Seen several very used 50cc saws for $225 - $250 - could get a brand new Stihl Farmboss for not much more and get more power. Thanks for the help.

Farm boss is a good saw, just a little on the heavier side. I used one for years and it worked great. Dolmar 421 with a 16" bar is a great little saw. I find myself using it more and more because it starts so easy and is very efficient with gas. It is a professional saw that is priced like a home owners saw.

Unless you know what to look for, buying used is almost always a crap shoot. And, as you have noticed, used stuff isn't always a bargain or priced reasonably. Not saying that you can't find a good deal, but be very careful.

As far as buying something like a Poulan, for what you have described you'll be using it for, you should be able to buy a brand-new one. I had a Poulan 2150 saw. Great little saw. Easy to start, ran great, and no issues at all with it. It came with a 14" bar.

I ended up selling it for more than I paid for it. For no more than what you're gonna want out of a saw, no need to throw a lot of money at one. Properly used and cared for, a cheap saw will last as long as an expensive one will. It's all about proper maintenance.

I've seen plenty of new Poulans on E-Bay. You should have no problems finding one. Buy new and avoid the pitfalls that a used saw can bring.

Thanks for the info guys. Will look more into the Dolmars and will also look at the trading post - forgot about that being on here. Gues I'll look into Poulans some more too - just not a fan

I like Dolmar, but the problem is getting parts for them. Not as easy as the big 2.

Been asking around today and am hearing very mixed reviews on Dolmar. Thanks to those that already have but since I'm not very familiar with them, would anybody else be willing to weigh in with an opinion? Looks good spec wise and price wise for my needs but heard some pretty so-so reviews regarding power and durability. I know there are a few dealers in my area but none of them are "go-to" type of places for professional arborists - not that I'm a pro but I would definitely trust the guys the pros trust more than a some dude slinging homeowner crap.

Go to a dealer and buy the best Stihl or Husky you can afford. NOT a big box store.

No mixed reviews here this little saw flat out cuts bigger than its 42cc

bazeneha.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a budget like yours and no bigger than your wood is I'd recommend you find a Stihl 025/250. You won't have much invested and very cheap parts sources available. I agree that if you decide to go new the 421 would be a great option. But you can get a little more bang for your buck for a Echo Cs 590. Tons of options when it comes to saws. The options available will vary on how thick your wallet is. Good luck with your search

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back