New OWB coming...need chainsaw info....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have an owb on the way for this winter, need some info on a new chainsaw and what to look for. I have a small poulan 14" that I've used for yard upkeep the last couple years but I need something for firewood now...first off how big of a bar should I look at? Looks like Stihl is a favorite around here...I have a ton of Husquavana dealer around here, major differences between the two? What shoudl I look for? Looking at Stihls site the ms270 and 290 got my attention but what do I know :)

I'm not a pro, but I've done a ton of reading on this site for a few years now.

Let me summarize for you:

There are Stihlheads and Huskyheads, and they will both insist that their brand is FAR better than the other. Sort of like Ford vs. Chevy.

Then there are sensible people who recognize that both are excellent, really , the only good choices, and probably the most important thing is dealer support.

Next, there are people who will dare to say that there are worthy brands other than The Sacred Two. They will mention Dolmar or Shindaiwa or Solo.

A few brave souls may even mention Efco as being worth your consideration.

And don't forget that Jonsered is the same as Husky. (For now.) Just prettier.

Bottom line is, since you don't know chainsaws, the three most important things for you to consider (in order of importance) are:

1. Dealer support.
  2. Dealer support.
  3. Dealer support.

Any of the above brands will do you fine, if you do your part. But do yourself a favor, and buy a pro grade saw, a bit bigger than you think you need. The cheap stuff just isn't worth the aggravation.

Run good oil and don't push it with a dull chain.

Have fun! :cheers:

Start putting the best pallets to the side, for stacking or even just piling your wood on, to keep it off the ground.

In the event of more wood than time, I've thought about putting four or nine pallets togther in a square, then just piling the split wood on that, allows for some airflow, but eliminates the wood from wicking up so much ground moisture, and insects, keeps the bottom wood cleaner....

Yep. That's what I do, and it works well. Much better way to use pallets than burning them, IMO.

Start with a 70cc saw for firewood, and accessorize from there. As previously mentioned, get a pro saw-they are usually built to higher specs :clap: . I, myself, chose a Husky 372XP :chainsaw: .

More great info, thanks again guys. Wdchuck brought up sharpening and my local friend just brought that up also, I've filed my poulan by hand a bit but need to see someone who knows how to do it in person...but what are you guys using to sharpen on site? My friend said he uses a dremel chain sharpening attachment that he likes,said he can do an 18" bar in about 7 minutes. What are you guys using?

I use an oregon file setup to get the angles right, with the correctly sized file. Taking my time, both "sides", about ten minutes, more or less. I sharpen about every two tanks and flip the bar to even bar use/wear.:chainsaw:

70cc for firewood?

You have to be kidding right? How many of you guys actually cut from daylight to dusk running a 70cc saw limbing, falling and bucking? I run a 59cc stihl and that thing will wear you out! Maybe i am just a sissy but, you are trying to put a newby in a 70cc saw when a 60 is more than adequate to cut wood for an owb?
I vote for a good 50-60cc saw, i would also vote for a stihl. I have run stihls for a very long time and have never had a problem with one until it got run over by a tractor. Two of my neighbors have huskys, the one took his chain brake off the first day in the woods beause it was junk, the other cant keep his running. Are they professional saws i dont know, but neither are two of my stihls, and they have not given me any problems. If i was you cutting for myself, under 10 cord a year go buy a good ms310 for 409 out the door, and you will have a saw that will do every thing you want to do. As an added bonus stihl has in there cutters an angle line ingraved in them so you can see if you are filing at the right angle.

I agree with what Blueridge Mark was saying. Dealer support can be the difference. Huskie/Jonsered is almost moot point except for colors and handle angle.

Check out Dolmar (Had to throw that in :) ) if you have any nearby. Excellent saws and generally cheaper than the other top saws.
For your needs, a 6400 with the standard 20" bar is perfect. There are others who will say that if you were too buy a 6400, why not get a 7300 or 7900 as they are the same chassis and weight with just bigger top end. It's good reasoning but you could start off with the 6400 (or 6401 Makita), and upgrade down the road. Also, at the moment, on Flea-bay, I've seen Makita 6401's going for less than $400 brand new in the box with 20" bar. Good luck with your new OWB. :cheers:

You have to be kidding right? How many of you guys actually cut from daylight to dusk running a 70cc saw limbing, falling and bucking? I run a 59cc stihl and that thing will wear you out! Maybe i am just a sissy but, you are trying to put a newby in a 70cc saw when a 60 is more than adequate to cut wood for an owb?
I vote for a good 50-60cc saw, i would also vote for a stihl. I have run stihls for a very long time and have never had a problem with one until it got run over by a tractor. Two of my neighbors have huskys, the one took his chain brake off the first day in the woods beause it was junk, the other cant keep his running. Are they professional saws i dont know, but neither are two of my stihls, and they have not given me any problems. If i was you cutting for myself, under 10 cord a year go buy a good ms310 for 409 out the door, and you will have a saw that will do every thing you want to do. As an added bonus stihl has in there cutters an angle line ingraved in them so you can see if you are filing at the right angle.

70cc is needed !!! I tried for a while with my 55cc Husky Rancher and it was getting me nowhere. If you are cutting 10-12 full cords for an OWB you need something more than a 55 or 60 cc saw. My 372xp saves me time and is able to run a 24" bar which is needed for some pieces. I do agree that a chainsaw newbie should learn with a smaller saw....A good dealer will lend them one if they want his business bad enough....mine did , and now he has a customer that would not ever dream of buying elsewhere. As for chains go buy 10 of them from Bailey's and you'll always have sharp ones available...good luck with your saw hunt!:chainsaw:

Last edited:
I agree with the others - dealer support is key.

I am partial to Stihls, but if the Husqy dealer is close, I would probably go with that. There are advantages of each brand over the other, but a close dealer can be important.

The biggest thing to keep in mind when buying your saw is how you will use it. Are you going to be cutting delivered logs, or felling trees? What size wood do you anticipate? Skill level?

In PA, a Stihl 361 would serve most of you needs, if you want to use one saw. Since you are using a small saw now, a moderate step up in power and weight may be wise. Try out a Stihl 280, 290, or 310 (or comparable Huskys). Don't let everyone here convince you that you need a pro saw. Most guys I know use a 290 for their firewood saw. Of course, I do most of the felling with my 038 mag, but if you don't plan to fell, then maybe you don't need a powerful saw. Also in PA, a 16 to 18" bar works for most firewood cutters. I have a 20" bar on my 038 and that is usually big enough, even though I routinely cut larger than 20" trees.

More good info, thanks guys. Just found out my 30 minute away stihl dealer has a second shop much closer, talked to him and will stop by this week, he suggested a 290 on the phone but said he's got plenty to show me, he suggested 16-18" bar for what's around here (he has an owb also).
Also handled the 455 rancher 18" bar at lowes last night, have to admit it was heavier than I though it would be, can't imagine a 70cc all day like someone just mentioned....and I have to admit I'm no small guy, 5 days a week at the gym lifting weights heavy....and all I could think of while holding it was "they want me to get a bigger bar and motor setup than this? " :)

i must be f-ed up, i have been using 50 cc saws and smaller my whole life..why would this guy need a 70 cc pro saw to do fire wood.....
why not start out with what you can handle and the grow from there.
all my saws have been used, 031's 021, 028, 041 the only new saw i ever bought was a 455 rancher, been using it as my main saw for 2 years and has not let me down. buy the best you can afford and fits your ability.

and throw out that stinking safty chain after you get good with your saw

Last edited:
small guys

theres a difference in gym stength and manual labor everyday strength. i'm 5'6", 130 lbs and i can run a 70cc saw all day long. it does depend on what youre used to, what you can afford and what youre doing.

theres a difference in gym stength and manual labor everyday strength. i'm 5'6", 130 lbs and i can run a 70cc saw all day long. it does depend on what youre used to, what you can afford and what youre doing.

that is ability........ i know a 200# guy that can barely handle a 021

are you playing or are you doing somethin

So you guys who run a 70cc saw all day, how many cords of wood are you getting falled and bucked in that day? I bet you are just playing not actually cutting all day. I am 6'6'' 235 lbs, and yes i used to run my 310 from 6 in the morning till 7 at night cutting wood. Between my brother falling, and splitting, and me doing all the bucking we did 37 face cord (21 OWB, 16 STD )the other day, That is with me running the saw all day. We did have 3 of my cousins picking up the wood to dump in the trailer.

Last edited:
if just playin means 8 hr days, i was just playin. a bada$$ by no means. i cut wood for firewood and hobby. i'm not sure how much i've cut in a single day. i've been cutting wood for 15 yrs and learned just last year what constituted a "cord"

If you do decide on getting that 290 I would get the 20" bar. That 2" may come in handy. Doesn't it always? :)

Personal favorite so far, my 028, once it feels slow, then the 460 comes out to finish as the wood grows larger in diameter. Use the right tool for the job, and for you.

Get at least 18" bar

More good info, thanks guys. Just found out my 30 minute away stihl dealer has a second shop much closer, talked to him and will stop by this week, he suggested a 290 on the phone but said he's got plenty to show me, he suggested 16-18" bar for what's around here (he has an owb also).
Also handled the 455 rancher 18" bar at lowes last night, have to admit it was heavier than I though it would be, can't imagine a 70cc all day like someone just mentioned....and I have to admit I'm no small guy, 5 days a week at the gym lifting weights heavy....and all I could think of while holding it was "they want me to get a bigger bar and motor setup than this? " :)

I thought the same thing until my dealer "gave" me a 371xp to use as long as I wanted (I've bought a lot of equipment from him in the past). I found myself using the 371 (70cc) more and more over my 55 Rancher (55cc) due to it's speed in cutting. I have found that after a few days with it, my 55 is sitting more and more and will be sold for a 60cc or so size saw. I'm 5'9" 190# and run/lift as well. Believe me you will easily wing a Husky 372 or Stihl 441 or 460 around no problem, Ask the dealer if you can try a larger saw for a few days before making a decision. I think you will find that the option of putting an 18" bar on the bigger saw may be an option for you. Remember most of the time the saw will be in the wood, not being held in the air up in front of you. Happy cutting

Last edited:
If you are not a tree service cutting a variety of sized wood, WHY would you need a 70 cc saw. Alot of people that get fire wood get the left overs, like tops. I have a Dolmar 6400 24" bar ( @ $700.00 ) and that is used for the big stuff. I use an old 029 that I found in the garbage ( yes in the garbage) most of the time to cut up to 20". Before that, I had a garbage homeowner Homelite in the wood pile. That was the one that I lend out, gone for 1 1/2 years and did not run when returned. Sold it for $25.00

I cut for my first 4 years with my poulan 2555. Just heating a garage, but still cutting quite a bit. I moved to my Poulan Pro 330 last winter after 3 months of heating my house with the 2555. This summer I bought a new MS 361(thanks for the advice guys) and see no need for more. Yes, more would be great fun. I have cut a good amount of 30" oak since getting my new saw. Plenty of power. If most of your cutting is by yourself or with one helper, you will not need more. 60cc 20" bar.

I was not sure of Husky/Stihl either. I bought Stihl because the dealer is only 7 miles from my house. Happy cutting!

Latest posts

Back