New OWB coming...need chainsaw info....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slick

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Have an owb on the way for this winter, need some info on a new chainsaw and what to look for. I have a small poulan 14" that I've used for yard upkeep the last couple years but I need something for firewood now...first off how big of a bar should I look at? Looks like Stihl is a favorite around here...I have a ton of Husquavana dealer around here, major differences between the two? What shoudl I look for? Looking at Stihls site the ms270 and 290 got my attention but what do I know :)

I might get some flack for this, but a OWB owner should have a MS441 as a minimum. Reason is the shear amount of wood you will be cutting.

I'm partial to Stihl but the bet thing to do is go to the local dealers and just check out the saws see what feels comfortable to you and another thing is to think about is about what size wood do you think you will be cutting? that would also dictate what you are going to buy... but be prepared to spend some $$ prolly somewhere between $500-$1000 . probably closer to $1000 but the time its said and done --you figure saw and other accessories -files maybe an extra bar. couple chains, mix oit, bar oil, and other wood handling items .. and most importantly DON'T forget the PPE (Personal Protection Equipment).

Buy from a local dealer. If you need parts or service it will be nearby. There will be a learning curve cutting bigger wood. I figure you'll go through a couple bars. Something with a 20" bar/ 60cc will be plenty to start with.

Transition from a 35cc Poulon to a 70cc pro saw will be startling, please do your first test cuts at a dealer, just to get the feel of that caliber with someone experienced nearby.

A 20", and 24-28" bar would serve the vast majority of wood you'll encounter, 70cc saws can get heavy quick until you are used to them, so keep that little Poulon along for when your muscles start to fatigue.

Allow supplies and safety gear into your budget.

Like I said before.. dont forget the PPE you are going to be stepping up from a homeowner saw to a pro grade saw...

Thanks guys. On the PPE...what are we looking at, I figured leg chaps and a helmet/face shield/muff and gloves...what else?

Steel toe boots at a minimum. Chainsaw boots if you don't mind spending a couple hundred.

Do you have any wood ready to go now? What are you planning to burn if you don't?

what kind of wood are you cutting

what saw's work for some may not work for you

knowing the size of wood you are planning to cut will help in your saw purchase

a good mid size saw with a 20'' bar will cut anything you would want to split with a maul at a lower cost, unless your going to cut alot of bigger wood
then i advise you to get a bigger saw

i think most agree a smaller saw with a 70cc saw will cover most of your cutting need's

pick the brand that you feel comfortable with

Steel toe boots at a minimum. Chainsaw boots if you don't mind spending a couple hundred.

Do you have any wood ready to go now? What are you planning to burn if you don't?

I get pallets from work for free, starting trailering them home and there is a huge pile of broken ones waiting for me....but yeah I need to start cutting real wood and soon.

I get pallets from work for free, starting trailering them home and there is a huge pile of broken ones waiting for me....but yeah I need to start cutting real wood and soon.

Start putting the best pallets to the side, for stacking or even just piling your wood on, to keep it off the ground.

In the event of more wood than time, I've thought about putting four or nine pallets togther in a square, then just piling the split wood on that, allows for some airflow, but eliminates the wood from wicking up so much ground moisture, and insects, keeps the bottom wood cleaner....

Chaps, a helmet system, gloves, good boots with toe protection make for a great typical coverage, if you want to go a couple steps further:
chainsaw shirt....kevlar on the arms and shoulders
if you experience glare on your mesh face screen, then spray some flat black paint on it, that helps.

Have fun, work safe, enjoy your new everything. :greenchainsaw:

My parents burned pallets for years when I was growing up. They have a regular wood stove in the house though. An OWB will surely eat more wood than their stove did! We always used a skillsaw to cut up the pallets.

Look at the Dolmar 5100. It might fit your budget a little better. Theese other saws are great saws and you can run them every day. But, it seems to me you just want to cut 10-15 cord a year. Thats up to u.:chainsaw:

Ps. Seems we all agree on the 20" - 24" bar.
:clap: :clap:

Thanks again guys. Looks like 20" bar 70cc range is the consenses which is a god place to start. Stilhl dealer is half hour away which I don't mind to buy it but for service that will be tough as far as time goes...got husky dealers all around me... and a big Echo dealer, any input on them? Looking at their site they don't do much with chain saws...I'll call around tommorrow see what else is around.

What's the consensus on Jonsered? Have a friend who just went on and on about them, said they are basically the same as Husky but with more liberal distribution, not such tight dealer agreements?

Jonsreds have some great models, as do their near twin Husqvarnae.

Jonsred 2171 is a 70cc, and is a real pleasure to use, great antivibe, very nimble, will keep up with a Stihl 440 and 460 in the right hands.

A 2153 is a 50cc saw, and is also fun to use, but wood over 18" dia will get tiresome to cut, timewise.

Echo, well, they make great lawncare equipment.

Many folks here will agree that a 30cc range, a 50cc range and a 70+ cc range saw makes for a great 3saw plan, and you already have a 'tweener with that Poulon . BUT, and this is from personal experience, a Dolmar 5100 will cut near 2:1 to that Poulon, and be ALOT more comfortable in the hands to use. A Dolmar 7900 is just downright fun to use, run out of wood before you are done having fun cutting.

The fact that your local Stihl dealer is 30 min away shouldn't play too much, buy the saw, take proper care of it, and you won't see that dealer again for a long time. Haven't seen mine for three years, get my chains, files from small business that's local, and fluids from the farm store.

Best thing to do is go to dealers, and cut some wood right there with the saws to get a feel for what is right for you, and your dollar.

Learn to file sharpen your own chains by hand, its a very useful skill.

i've had a cb for over 5 years and i've gotten by with only one saw- the stihl ms290 better known as the farm boss. 20in. bar. best saw for the money

Latest posts

Back