New Poulan 5020 hunting idle, won't rev

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgr

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Thank you for letting me be a part of this great site. I recently purchased a new Poulan PP5020. It has a hunting idle and refuses to rev. Feather the throttle or cram it down and it dies. I had to turn the idle screw up a turn and a half to get it to idle without dying. Here is a video of it idling. It warmed up enough that the bar is coated in oil and the top cover is slightly warm to the touch. I simply could not to get it to rev unless I started it at half choke and then feathered the throttle with it already on high idle. I believe it was very lean out of the box. Does the saw sound really lean to you guys?

If I didn't live 1.5 miles from the store and needed the saw tonight, I would have been rather upset. I actually have an adjustment tool due to arrive tomorrow and hemmed and hawed about waiting for the tool to arrive and fixing the mfgs mistake. In the end, I decided to return it and ask for one that would run. Poulan can sell it as a factory refurb. I verified the new one starts and will at least rev before I ran out of daylight.

While researching the saw, I ran down some part numbers other owners may find useful.
72DP060G 60 Drive Link S-70 Semi Chisel Chain, 3/8-Inch - Oregon semi-chisel chain for a 16" bar
160SLHK095 .050" Gauge 3/8" Pitch 16" Pro-Lite Bar - Oregon 16" Pro-Lite bar with K095 mount
72LPX070G 70 Drive Link Super 70 Chisel Chain, 3/8-Inch - Oregon Full Chisel for the stock bar
72LPX060G 60 Drive Link Super 70 Chisel Chain, 3/8-Inch - Oregon full chisel for the 16" bar
160RNDK095 - Oregon 16" Pro-match Bar

Hopefully those will help someone in the future.

Thanks for the replies.

Andy, thank you for the link to the tuning videos. I'm not following your statement. "...not really Poulan's fault." They are selling through a retail outlet that has no way to resolve the issue short of, go grab another and slap a RTV sticker on this one. The tool to adjust the carb is not available where the saws are sold and Poulan provides no information on how to adjust the saw. I get that is is a $200 saw but to not even be able to get it above an idle isn't acceptable at any price point.

An unusable saw doesn't really sell brand loyalty. If I was joe average homeowner, the return would have involved grabbing the orange saw, paying the difference and swearing off Poulan forever. That isn't the best marketing campaign. Fortunately for me, I read the big thread here before considering this saw. I had the tool on order before I even purchased the saw.

The replacement also ran lean but I was able to resolve it quickly. H still probably needs some work but it's running pretty well. I'll post some results if I can get my cell phone to cooperate. In the end, I'm pleased with the saw. It does exactly what I need it to do. It has already paid for itself. Spending 2-3x as much would have gained me little other than my saw dealer tuning it before I left with the saw like with my MS 193 T.

Jeremiah, where can I order one of those stickers for my saw?

Here's some pics of a couple trees we took out this weekend. Something I didn't think about - bring lots of hands and rakes when felling a dead hardwood.

This was a neighbor who watched us take out the big tree. Back up the trailer, snip some branches and drop it in.

Another dead yard tree.

I know these pics are *yawn* for most on this board.

I'm really pleased with the function of the saw. It threw the chain which gave me an excuse to put on the Oregon chain I ordered. I'm sure this was my fault as I didn't check the chain tension after starting work. Other than the carb settings, the only other thing that is a bother is the oil tank runs out before the fuel tank. I wasn't idling the saw much so I don't think that's an issue. It's a minor annoyance and is something I will just need to get used to. It doesn't bother me to take a break from holding this thing to refill the oil reservoir. LOL

Thanks for the replies.

Andy, thank you for the link to the tuning videos. I'm not following your statement. "...not really Poulan's fault." They are selling through a retail outlet that has no way to resolve the issue short of, go grab another and slap a RTV sticker on this one. The tool to adjust the carb is not available where the saws are sold and Poulan provides no information on how to adjust the saw. I get that is is a $200 saw but to not even be able to get it above an idle isn't acceptable at any price point.
?

To meet EPA regulations the carbs have to be set on the edge and the factory settings are never going to be spot on, that's just not how carbs work. A good dealer would normally tune the saw when he sets the saw up, so it's not a problem. However this is what you get when you but from a big box store instead of a dealer, and is the reason many people hate Poulan saws these days.

Latest posts

Back