New PowerHorse wood splitters at Northern Tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikocker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Saw these on the net today. Use the principle of bi-directional splitting like Split-Fire splitters.

Northern 30 Ton

I bought a 30 Ton Northstar a couple months ago and I couldn't be happier with it. It will tear through a 20" crotch of oak with only some hesitation. The automatic idle control on the 5.5 HP Honda saves a lot of fuel. I split 3 cords this weekend on 1.5 tanks. Nice machine and still available for $1499 for a few more days (until 8/18/08 use catalog Key#109689 and item#1109-2807) the new price is $70 higher. :chainsaw:

Last edited:
i'd like to try one

first look has promise wander what kinda loads are put on the ram and if it will last ,think of a four way on smaller stuff , i like the rails on the side of it

I bought a 30 Ton Northstar a couple months ago and I couldn't be happier with it. It will tear through a 20" crotch of oak with only some hesitation. The automatic idle control on the 5.5 HP Honda saves a lot of fuel. I split 3 cords this weekend on 1.5 tanks.

That sounds very good! I get about a cord on a tank with my 11 horse 35 ton. I probably have a better cycle time than you, but I'm not sure that translates directly into less time to get the splitting done. A lot of time is spent in moving the wood, not just waiting for the ram to travel. That gas savings is pretty nice.

Somebody posted about his Northern beam falling off his unit when he was towing. Back a few months. IIRC, it was the pivot pin. You might want to check on that, just to be safe.

I'll pass on the 4 way

first look has promise wander what kinda loads are put on the ram and if it will last ,think of a four way on smaller stuff , i like the rails on the side of it

I am splitting rounds 24" long for my OWB and the 4 way will both make the bottom pieces too small and bog down the splitter for larger stuff. On Sat I did 2 cords in about 4 hrs (alone) and stacked same. I'll save the $70 for the bolt on wings. For someone with a woodstove they would be a must! This thing is built solid and the rails ARE nice for holding the ram down :)

Last edited:
Back