New Project Saw. Dolmar PS-7900!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nnero

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I finally have a big Dolmar...in pieces. My future father in-law has been repairing saws for people he knows recently. They are big fans of Dolmars and gave him 2 red top 7900s and wanted one back that worked. I got what was left over for $25. So I have a 7900 that needs a new flywheel (some fins are broken off), cylinder cover, upper rubber av bushing, various hardware, killswtich and some other stuff. It turns over hard and the piston and rings don't look good. Don't know about the cylinder yet but it is stamped Mahle. Ill try to get it cleaned up this weekend and remove the cylinder for a better look. My plan is to get this saw up and running with new or used parts. I think it'll be a cool "rise from the ashes" kinda story. Will get pics up ASAP

Thanks! Ive been wanting one for a long time but a new one was too far out of reach. Thats why we went with the 6100 and the have the Pioneer P-61 (By far my favorite saw) as the big guy. I think this will fill in the gap very well, depending on what is needed. Im hoping to keep it under $300 including bar and chain. If I can sell some stuff to fund the build it will go quicker if not it might take longer. Either way being out $25 isnt so bad. Im not gonna order anything until a thorough cleaning/parts needed list. Ill post the dirty parts in a box picture when I get home.

I still can't get over the weight difference between the 7900 and my 288. After a weekend of working with the latter I start looking for the former more intently. Nice job on last year's rebuild; I'm excited to see how this new one turns out.

Got the cylinder off. The piston is trashed but the cylinder looks like it can be saved. Theres still some light scoring around the exhaust port after cleaning it up but doesnt look too bad. Will def need flywheel, piston, rings, oil pump, chain brake handle, impulse line, 1 av mount, choke lever, kill switch and top covers to start. will update more tomorrow

What's wrong with the flywheel pictured? You better hope your coil is good... those are spendy!

I have a chainbrake handle you can have for shipping cost. I don't know where all my parts went... I thought I had more. I have a clutch and a bunch of fasteners as well. Sorry I can't be more help.

Back