New project to share

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrethegiant70

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi, Gang!

I just thought I'd post for the heck of it... you know, a little scotch, nothing much on the telly, that sort of thing.

This is a project that has been pooping along for a few months waiting for cheap parts to arrive. I had a few hours today so I finally chunked it all together. It's a 362 that I put together from a number of basket cases. This thing got the full treatment.. new seals, gaskets, filters, rubber, main bearings, and rings.

I'm going to use this saw to try out the milling version of NK chain, so I chose the 362 top end over the 372 (don't want to snap the chain!) Since the saw is for milling I won't bother with the chain break or bucking spikes... no porting on this since it is already at the top end of the NK range. I choose the high top setup for the big filter. The whole idea here is portability and making the best use of the smaller diameter juniper I fnd a lot of out here.

It idles and revs out nicely.. starts on the first pull when warm, every time.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid368.photobucket.com/albums/oo129/andrethegiant70/100_3470.flv">

Last edited:
Sounds pretty good...

Is that Alanis Morrisette in the background? :laugh:

Well, I don't think so, but you've got an eye for details, JJ! I'm surprised no one mentioned the enormous pile of rubbish (including another basket case 372) in the background. It's a nearly complete non-runner with a really toasted crank. Piston looks good through the ex-port, but my guess is that it's crashed a piston skirt... pretty common on these once the big end bearings get sloppy. Still, the jug will be good.

Any day that you can fart around with chainsaws on the back porch is a REALLY good day! I'm looking forward to doing a little of the same today!

Nice
looks like it be a good easy going project

Well, I don't think so, but you've got an eye for details, JJ! I'm surprised no one mentioned the enormous pile of rubbish (including another basket case 372) in the background. It's a nearly complete non-runner with a really toasted crank. Piston looks good through the ex-port, but my guess is that it's crashed a piston skirt... pretty common on these once the big end bearings get sloppy. Still, the jug will be good.

Any day that you can fart around with chainsaws on the back porch is a REALLY good day! I'm looking forward to doing a little of the same today!

Piles of rubbish are pretty much routine for people who continually works on saws... ;)

The 362 really is an under-rated saw. One of the bigger tree service outfits here has 15 or so 362s they're running as ground saws and they last a long time, usually longer than the 372s working in the same conditions. Plus, if they fry a 362 top end the crank is usually in much better shape than it would be in the bigger saws.

Jacob J.;2117871]Piles of rubbish are pretty much routine for people who continually works on saws... ;)

If you don't mind, I'm going to need you to call my wife and let her know.

The 362 really is an under-rated saw. One of the bigger tree service outfits here has 15 or so 362s they're running as ground saws and they last a long time, usually longer than the 372s working in the same conditions. Plus, if they fry a 362 top end the crank is usually in much better shape than it would be in the bigger saws.

It's interesting that you say this... I have done quite a number of the 371/372 versions of this saw. Many of them had good top ends but bad bottom ends, most with dusted big end bearings. What I do notice is that most of these I got were ex-forest service saws in seriously ugly shape. My theories on this are:

a) The 372 has a really robust top end, in the sense of both physical durability and power output.

b) Lugging these saws (bring the rpms down by pushing hard into big wood), puts enormous torque loads on the bottom end, leading to bottom end failure.

c) If people who run the saws don't also own them, the saw's life will be miserable and short.

It's interesting that you say this... I have done quite a number of the 371/372 versions of this saw. Many of them had good top ends but bad bottom ends, most with dusted big end bearings. What I do notice is that most of these I got were ex-forest service saws in seriously ugly shape. My theories on this are:

a) The 372 has a really robust top end, in the sense of both physical durability and power output.

b) Lugging these saws (bring the rpms down by pushing hard into big wood), puts enormous torque loads on the bottom end, leading to bottom end failure.

c) If people who run the saws don't also own them, the saw's life will be miserable and short.

I would agree. I have 3 371's and 2 372's sitting here, one of each that run, but at least 2 others I have had have lost the big end bearing. All of them being ex-full time felling saws (dad still runs a 1998 vintage 371 that when held by the starter handle barely creeps and has never had a top end rebuild), are ugly and seem to have shown their weaknesses over the years, which seems to be that bearing.

I agree that pushing them into big wood does lug them awfully hard. Possibly the length of chain being pulled and sprocket size are also contributors to the torque load on the lower end of these saws.

Back