New project wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southern Boy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I worked on and off this weekend on obtaining two walnut trees. I didn't have to work as hard as I had feared due to the guy clearning the land having a track hole and doing a lot of my work for me.:biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2:

It took me three loads to obtain all that I wanted to work with. I hope to finish up my CSM rig and get to practicing on some of the smaller stuff. As you can see from the pics, I even got the stump off of the largest tree. It was a load by itself and even bottomed out my truck just by the tongue weight. I was greatly pleased with my saws, but ran into some problems with my Stihl 066's bar. It kept clogging up at the nose to the point of choking down the saw. If I kept the nose clear of the log as I cut, it wouldn't get clogged. Any ideas? My other saw is a Jonsered 2050 Turbo and it eat up everything I put it into without ANY problems.

Some nice wood.
DSC_0578.jpg

DSC_0579.jpg

The only way to load your wood.
DSC_0584.jpg

DSC_0585.jpg

My new playground!
DSC_0591.jpg

DSC_0593.jpg

I hope to have some more photos as I start to process the trees. I have an older gunsmith coming over soon to help me layout the trees to obtain the best gunstocks I can out of them.

Last edited:
Walnut

Looks GREAT! I can't wait for the action shots. I love to work with Walnut in the shop. It is one of my favorite woods to work with. Besides gun stocks, how are you going to saw up the balance?

To the best of my knowledge, I'm going to quarter saw it. Some of the smaller pieces will be flat sawed, but not too many of them. I may try and get some wood out of the roots for turning bowls out of for some of my friends. The tap root is real neat. It has four large circles in it as if the tree has four hearts. I think it would make a fantastic piece to make a bowl out of.

SWEET!:rockn: You're going to get some great figure from those crotches. I'm glad to see you're getting some expert help. I'd hate to see logs like that turned to firewood. Keep the pics coming!

My mouth is watering... you sure have your work cut out for you. I too love to work with walnut in the ship, and I get few walnut trees to slice, and rarely ones as large as your stash. I too can't wait to see some of the crotch wood, you got a few of them in that bunch. Your a bit too far away, or I'd want to come over and "watch" you open up a few of those.

Keep us informed.

I've bought and sold a lot of high grade gunstock blanks over the years and i was a stockmaker at that time too. I also spent a lot of time with Andy Garner who sawed out highly figured stock blanks for over 45 years out of walnut stumps. (for Pachmayr Gun Works)

I hope your gunsmith friend has knowledge of "actually sawing stumps" and not just gunstock layout??? Anywho, on stumpwood you DON'T "quarter saw" if your going for the best figue!!

No matter how you saw it, you should get something good, but you need an "experenced stump sawyer" there to get the most and best......

GET some Anchorseal, you NEED to use plenty of it if you expect figured blanks to not turn into firewood!!

Nice picts.. thanks for post them..

Rob

Sawyer Rob said:
GET some Anchorseal, you NEED to use plenty of it if you expect figured blanks to not turn into firewood!!
Rob

I don't have as many years of experience as Rob, but one thing I will vouch for from my own experience, is he is right on the money using something to keep that wood from drying too fast... figured wood, be it crotch or stump, with all its figure and grain going every which way, tends to dry real quick and crack. On some smaller pieces, I have literally immersed the whole piece in melted wax, and then just set it away on the shelf in the shed. Years of very slow drying out and I now have some nice small pieces of figured wood.

Back