new saw, 066 or 064 (again)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragrcr

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
so i got another free saw today, guy didnt know much about it, I am tryning to figure out if it is a newer 064, or a 066. the AV monuts were kinda haggered together, and bound up a bit, pulled the tank off and fixed it, then i tried to change the broken brake handle with one i had on a spare 064 case. NO GO, the 064 brake handle i have is about 1/2 inch too narrow? are the 066 handles different from the 064? or just the new and old 064? also i took a pic of the base of the cyl as i think that is also a way to tell, it has some FUNKY non stihl full wrap, fits like crap but i guess it will do the job. muffler is different from my 064, and the choke/throttle lock lever is orange and the one on my 64 is black and this one has an elasto start... soo experts, new 064 or 066....

I put some gas in the tank, poured a bit of fuel in the carb, and 1st pull she lit off. TONS of compression, the piston looks PRISTINE, cant even see any blemishes at all!.... maybe i will put a bar on it in the next couple days and see how she cuts... anyone got a spare bar cover for me?
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
humm, i think it has been in this state for a while, i doubt it was put together with different saws knowing where it came from, i could be mistaken, any other outside ways to tell them apart? either way, a free running saw like this is not too bad id say, my last free 064 needed a piston and i thought i was lucky with that one!

...any other outside ways to tell them apart?

I don't think so. I believe the early 066 and 064 shared the same crankcase and plastic. The flywheel and recoil were narrower on the 064. Place a stick in the exhaust port against the far wall, turn the piston over until it marks the stick, and measure the bore. Then you'll know. I'm guess the 54mm of a 066, rather than the 52mm of a 064.

You got an 066 there...Looks like the handle is bent, hopefully the tank is still good. That's the line from just after the Red-Light saws I believe...(red switch shaft.) If it were a flat-top poly flywheel saw it'd have the black switch shaft, unless it's a true frankensaw...

brad, you are brilliant! i have an 064 piston to check it against... brb lol...

I don't think so. I believe the early 066 and 064 shared the same crankcase and plastic. The flywheel and recoil were narrower on the 064. Place a stick in the exhaust port against the far wall, turn the piston over until it marks the stick, and measure the bore. Then you'll know. I'm guess the 54mm of a 066, rather than the 52mm of a 064.

(psst- the top covers/cylinder covers were different...)

You got an 066 there...Looks like the handle is bent, hopefully the tank is still good. That's the line from just after the Red-Light saws I believe...(red switch shaft.) If it were a flat-top poly flywheel saw it'd have the black switch shaft, unless it's a true frankensaw...

thanks, im gonna measure the cyl to make sure. the wrap handle is some piece of crap. but the tank and handle are in perfect shape.... i have a bent up 660 3/4 wrap handle that i might be able to salvage...

Check and see if it has a oil hose from the pump when you get it. 066 doesn't

well just pulled the muffler, the bore is larger than my 064 piston so it has to be a 066. im pretty stoaked...if you guys had this and a stihl 41 inch .404 bar would you introduce them, or put my spare 28 3/8ths i have for the 440 on it?

ohhh well, maybe i will put the 36 i have on the 064 on this, and demote the 064 to 28 inch bar status. or i could send it your way and let you have at it. :):chainsaw: I wish i had the funds for that!

should i keep the velocity stack set up, or find a cover assy and go back to stock. the 064 has a stack, and its nice but looks like crap. what is the filter on yours?

I think all the clutch covers from the 024 all the way up to the 066 are the same and will swap from one to another. Baileys has aftermarket ones for 35 bucks and an air filter cover for 12 bucks. They also have standard handles for pretty cheap

should i keep the velocity stack set up, or find a cover assy and go back to stock. the 064 has a stack, and its nice but looks like crap. what is the filter on yours?

My 066 has a stack with a K&N and Outerwear. I wouldn't run it without the Outerwear though. It makes all the difference in the world. I even put a hole in the cover and have it installed over the K&N. It does not get in the way at all. I love the set up. BTW, I replaced the Intellicarb snorkel cover with a standard cover after these pics were taken.

329972479_J6XVQ-M.jpg

329972641_shYUy-M.jpg

330051845_akJKt-M.jpg

what is the PN to that filter if you know. i have one of those prefilters on my quad and i HATE it. might not be as bad on a saw.... i have one of the faom ones on the 064, but the oil from it gets on your hand...

Latest posts

Back