new saw - 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonka

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I had a thread on here a short time ago - 7900 or 385. Well I decided to go with the 7900, bought it from TonyM. Great guy to deal with. The same hp as a 385, slightly more torque, and less weight; sounded pretty good. Plus everyone really seems to like theirs. One big negative for the 385 was it's bearing problem reputation. I ran two tanks of fuel through(not to empty) the other evening cutting some light stuff 6" to 20". Today gave it a chance to stretch it's legs alittle bit. Had a 41" pin oak that had blown over this spring that needed cut up. I did the limbing with the 357 18" and anything over with the 7900 24". The tree is cut up into 18" logs now. The 7900 probably got about 2.5 hrs of running today. The trunk was cut after cut of the bar buried, then switch to the other side to finish cut. The saw is feeling really strong; really pulled the chain on buried cuts. The other thing I noticed is how smooth the saw is, very little vibration. The saw felt good in the hands. It seems to rev up very fast. I was alittle concerned about the air cleaner, but after all the running today almost no dust built up on the air cleaner. So it seems to do a pretty good job of keeping the dust out. I'm going to try to do some timed cuts with it and 372. At this point I am very pleased with it.

Great, that is comforting to here. On that filter, pull it off and check the pleats underneath. That's where most of the junk goes. It is a pretty good system. The air injection is a little better IMHO, but the Dolmar set up is a good step up from the older Dolmars and some of the Stihls I've run.

Again, I'm glad your liking the saw.

Latest posts

Back