new saw advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandolmar

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
HI i have a Dolmar ps341 it works great for the smaller stuff but I want something bigger Im considering tha Dolmar 540 and the Stihl 270 280 290. I will go to the dealer to find out what the differences and recomendations are on these saws. What about the Huskys is the 455 a good saw. I will use the saw for fire wood. I would like to spend about $350.00 Im still waiting to hear from Jonsered to find the dealers in my area any advice would be appreciated thanks DAn

If you like your Dolmar go get a Makita. Just for S&Gs I asked the guy who I buy woodworking tools from to quote a 5400 and a 7900. I was told $289 and $439. He, of course, would not service them so if that's an issue buy a Stihl.
John...........

husky

I was thinking about the makita they seem to be a little cheaper How do the husky 455 353 compare I was at the shindawa web site they actually have dealer in Bangor dan

Last edited:
dandolmar said:
I was thinking about the makita they seem to be a little cheaper How do the husky 455 353 compare I was at the shindawa web site they actually have dealer in Bangor dan
I have no idea how they compare but I'm sure they are all fine except for the 353 which I think I've read bad things about. Also, Makitas are not any 'cheaper' than Dolmars. They are just blue Dolmars and people here seem to really like them. Either find a dealer you really like and buy his saws or learn to fix them yourself and buy whatever strikes your fancy. You do seem to like your Dolmar though so that is a start.
John.........

p.s. Try the Search function on the 353 unless it's broken again.

I just did the search for you and it looks like people here do like the 353 so I guess I remembered wrong.
John..........

/darn old age

John, I was kind of shocked too. I probably should call back to see if he was quoting some other Makita but those were the saws I asked about and those were the prices he quoted me. He's just a mall type tool seller that sells pro type tools and Makita is one of his lines. He didn't even know they sold chainsaws. Let me know if you really want me to check again.
John.........

Of the Stihls you're looking at, they're all well suited for homeowner use, and perform well in that role. If you're going to lean towards the 290, look at the 310. They're the same saw, and weigh the same, but the 310 has more hp...and hp is always good.

Jeff

I would be interested in a 7900 for $439. Even with shipping that would be a great deal. There are still some rancher 55s around. From what I've heard they are better than the 455s. On the other hand, a 6400 Dolmar/Makita is in the same price range, and a better saw. If you can afford the 7900, go for it. You won't be disapointed.

That's a great price for a 7900. I love the Makitas ... the German-Dolmar designs are strong and straight-foward (really brick you-know-what houses) and the German/Japanese businessmen are smart enough to hold a design still after it has been finalized for production. I think that's their secret for keeping costs down. (Other brands seem to have undocumented "upgrades" to parts, which usually "increase profit" and decrease quality, but Makita holds the parts list still, and parts are even universal across models.) Their parts lists are also made openly available, and they can email you pdf-service manuals, so don't have this attitude that parts numbers and repair methods are some kind of a top-secret item for insiders only. Manufacturing control on quality is apparently high enough for Home Depot to use them as rentals. If you need a part, call the 800 number, and in a few days, it's on your doorstep. I do all my rebuilds and repairs myself, but any saw dealer who can repair a saw, should also be able to repair a Makita. Or you can send it to one of their regional centers.

For under $300.00 I think that a Makita DCS540 is a good deal. I would like to try the DCS 401. Less weight...perhaps a good limbing saw.

Back