New saw advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep! Its another $200 for decomp.

That's a lot of starter ropes. And my experience with decomp valves is they make things harder to start, without you just ease something over tdc and give it a good pull (or kick) and away it goes. With decomp you need to get things spinning a lot faster. IMO

Yep! Its another $200 for decomp.

That's a lot of starter ropes. And my experience with decomp valves is they make things harder to start, without you just ease something over tdc and give it a good pull (or kick) and away it goes. With decomp you need to get things spinning a lot faster. IMO

The only reason someone will ever need a decomp is on a ported saw (or saws 90-100cc +) that have 200-225psi compression or better. the larger older saws can really work a shoulder and if they hit at the wrong time you'll be glad the decomp was on.

79cc on these saw and running 160-185psi you should be just fine without it.

I actually laugh every time i pick up the DCS-341 that has a Decomp and all of 34cc's! LOL! seriously, they should have spent the money on a interchangeable rim sprocket.

Btw for anyone reading this... the stihl 026 rim sprocket is interchangeable with the 340/341/401/400 etc. It needs a few light mods but works pretty good! :wink:

Last edited:
Just saw that this, didn't realise I hadn't come back with my decision.

I ended up with a Husky 385 from Terry Landrum, appeared at the right time for the right price. Chip throwing monster, I couldn't be happier. One urgent road clearing job at 6am meant some local neighbours were unhappy, but that and every other job with it have been done in record time.

The Makita dealers were a pain, last I heard was that they would call me in two weeks when a saw was available.

Latest posts

Back