New saw arrived today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustytools

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey everyone, My new 395 XP arrived today and with any luck it wont rain here this weekend so I can try it out. Ive got some fresh downed wild cherry about 18 inches diameter. What I need first are the basics of breaking in my new investment the right way. I hope to have this thing for a long time so I wanna try to care for it properly. Thanks.

Many differing opinions on breaking in a new saw.

I, for one, wouldnt do it on a mill. Get a few to 5 tanks through it, AT LEAST, before you start milling with it.

Other than that, run it a little heavy on the oil side, I run everything 40:1, and turn the H screw up about 1/4 turn.

Thanks Casey. This thing came with a 42 inch bar. I guess ill have to buy me an 18 inch bar and chain for it so that I can break it in on some firewood.

CaseyForrest said:
Many differing opinions on breaking in a new saw.
I, for one, wouldnt do it on a mill. Get a few to 5 tanks through it, AT LEAST, before you start milling with it.
Other than that, run it a little heavy on the oil side, I run everything 40:1, and turn the H screw up about 1/4 turn.

I agree with casey, I wouldn't start milling right off the bat with a brand new saw. When I got my 395XP fresh out of the box, I did just what casey said you should, I put 8 full tankfulls through it before I stuck it on my csm. Limbing, bucking, even trimming... I used it where I would ordinarily use my smaller 365 or even my little echo when I could, just because I wanted to run it. I too run 40:1 in my saws. The catch of course is you have to have the patience to DO that. You 've waited for this saw, now we're telling you that you can't mill with it!!!!! Hey... as he said, there are different opinions, but you asked for ours. Go over to the chainsaw forum, and ask, there are lots of dealers and mechanics over there that would let you know what they thought.

I trust your opinions,that it why I asked.Besides I need to stock up on wood for the fireplace anyway. Gonna be cold before you know it. As always I appreciate the help.

One more question, Husqvarna reccomends only running their oil. I have what seems like a lifetime of Stihl oil on the shelf in the shop. Whatcha think?

dustytools said:
One more question, Husqvarna reccomends only running their oil. I have what seems like a lifetime of Stihl oil on the shelf in the shop. Whatcha think?
All I run is Stihl oil, all I have ever run... 40:1 in both my Stilhs and Husky's, oh and the little echo too:laugh:

I bought a 385XP a couple years ago and broke it in like I was going to use it. On the mill. As for as the oil, I have used both. Might pay for it later down the road but so for, I can't tell any difference.
Rodney

Ive heard both from other people. Some say break it in the way that it will be used ,others disagree.I think that I will be cautious this time and break it in on some firewood. The pile is getting a little low any way. Another week or two of not milling shouldnt hurt me too bad.

Back