New saw running lean?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
depending on how many feet above sea level you are at it just might be doing that exact thing! I live in Portland Oregon and it's only 173 ft above sea level here and tons of oxygen in the air! I usually always have to open the jets a little. This is the first thing that you need to do is to get the saw started and get a bit of heat in the cylinder by burping the throttle for a minute or two and then see if you can get it to idle? What needs to happen first is turn the idle screw down until the chain is no longer turning while the saw is idling and then clobber the throttle real fast and see if it revs immediately! If it bogged then you need to open the low speed jet and hit the throttle fast again until it has good response when you do this. Once you get it to respond immediately you are set for low speed. I always put the saw in to cut and make damn sure that your chain is good and sharp to get the correct results, when she starts to come alive, listen to how it sounds! Is it screaming and really peaky?If so, your too lean you need to open up the high jet until it is ever so slightly too rich and then shut the saw off and check the chain tension making sure it is spinning around the bar with no drag,Because if you are tight it takes little to no time at all to burn your saw down if it has heavy resistance putting unwanted drag at this point. If you are free then make some chips fly brother! 😋

Hey Experts,

Looking for some guidance on my new chainsaw which seems to be running lean out of the box. Here's what I've tried so far:

1) Filled the oil reservoir will fresh 2-cycle oil.
2) Checked the spark plug - looks fine. As always, I tightened it until it starts to get easier, then back off a quarter turn.
3) Reversed the chain to put a fresh edge on the wood.

In spite of having everything right, I'm having a difficult time getting it to run rich enough. I can keep it running on ether while tuning, but even then it bogs down after a while.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
I think if you hold it in a horizontal position it will cure the lean problem

Latest posts

Back