New saw blowing smoke...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

litefoot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Back to my new 460...again. After the 1st 3-4 tankfuls of mix, I see that it's blowing smoke when it didn't at first. I'm not real concerned, but I'm wondering if I've got my saw tweaked wrong or if maybe I wasn't shaking my mix enough and I've got more oil in the mix than the first two tanks.

When I say I "tweaked" the saw, I tried to lean it up a little as it was flooding out and shutting down (usually at idle) as I was cutting firewood at 8000'. I figured a little clockwise on the low side would do it . And I also set the idle as per the instructions as it seemed to be idling low.

After my tweaking, it became harder to start, so I set it back to the original 3/4 and 1/4 turn on H and L, but the left the idle at the new higher setting. It starts fine, but now it's blowing smoke. As I said, I'm not overly worried, after all this is a 2-stroke, but I thought I'd ask...and learn. Thank you all.

If you're sure the the mix is right and the carb is adjusted, and it still keeps smoking, you have a crankcase gasket that is letting bar oil into the crankcase.

baileys_logo_arboristsite_1.gif

Grande Dog
Master Mechanic
Discount Arborist Equipment and Tree Care Supplies

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back