new saw for wildland fires

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
flame,

Sounds like you guys have quite the arsenal of trucks and responsibility. If your not gonna use the saw for venting, and strictly for big tree cutting, get a big hog. You can never go wrong with a lot of hp. especially if your wanting to pull a 36" bar or better. Get the chief to sign off on a 066. You'll be happy with it stock, and surprised by it tricked.

JP,
I was on the initial attack too. went into square lake at the beginning. Got a pretty good look at the booth fir from the north side when it was just getting its legs under it. I gotta admit it surprised me how fast it moved to the east with that wind. Spent a good share of time that first night on the highway too. We had a big pow wow with the secret service guys about the bush in the metolius. Still alot of folks around that think he started the fire for his logging/fuels reduction talk. Conspiracy theory folks KILL ME.

But I guess you gotta do what makes you happy.

jp hallman said:
I don't believe there's a tree on the planet you can't fall with a 32" bar.

You obviously haven't seen "Tane".... Kauri in New Zealand... at 14 feet diameter (assuming my math is correct).... even your 32 incher is going to be whittling for a while... but you be in jail long before you ever get it down, never mind insulting an entire race :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tane_Mahuta

...and I'm sure here are other trees even bigger, but I've touched this one!

Smoke, remember Don(the information officer), and "Talk Like a Pirate Day", during AM breifings? I was the faller that did the little skit with him during the morning briefing. I still hear grumblings around Bend about Bush and his black heavys starting the fires.
Lake, I haven't been to New Zealand. Would like to go. Yes, even a 14 foot tree could be felled with a 32" bar. Yes, the feller doing so would be "beavering" away for awhile, but it could be accomplished. By the way, what's "Oregon Pine"?

Well I was the dozer boss with the feller bunchers that were with you in the Bear creek drainage. You were teamed up with a faller that had a pretty hot 044 if I remeber correctly. You drive that old flat bed dodge dontcha??

Freakingstang said:
That stament is gonna get eaten up, although 99% of the time, that is the case.
I have fallen a handful of 8+ footers (doug fir) with a 32" bar - only a couple of times I had to make a notch on the stump side to get my power head in a little farther to gut out for of the middle hinge. I agree that most anything can be cut witha 32".

Patrick62 said:
I have a 460, and I know of two more up here. Nobody has complained about it using excessive fuel. They are work horses. Plenty of power. I have never run a 440, it jsut made sense that if the weight is practically the same then I go with the larger saw. I agree that it would pull a 28-32 bar easily.

-pat
I have been cutting scale the last few weeks with a WHS modded 460 w/bb and get a 1/2 hour per tank. Been packing a 2 1/2 gallon jug of gas and a gallon of bar oil and have been lucky to have enough to fill up my saw at the end of a 6 hour day. Power is good, but the mileage sucks.

attachment.php

Heres one of my Idaho pictures.
Took it down with a 28 inch bar.
tree was on fire when I cut it
Western red cedar 75 inch dbh

I think 28 inch bars go a long way too.

smokechaser said:
Well I was the dozer boss with the feller bunchers that were with you in the Bear creek drainage. You were teamed up with a faller that had a pretty hot 044 if I remeber correctly. You drive that old flat bed dodge dontcha??

Well, you got most of it right. It's not a Dodge, it's an International. I have seven Internationals now...sigh. When you could buy em' new I couldn't stand em'. The Oh Farty Four my partner runs is a Madsens tune job. Is a good saw. I'm still partial to the Husky's myself.

We got a very small fire department compared to you guys, but we have 4 saws, a old sachs dolmar thing (dont know much about it, dont get used much if any) an echo roof saw and 1 ms-200 and a ms-440. I never cut a burning tree down but dam it would be fun. I think venting a roof is very fun.

Back