New saw, Mr. 353, meet the 361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IchWarriorMkII

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
ms361.jpg

I finally broke, I had to have a bigger saw. My dad was pushing me hard into a larger saw, but I said nay! The 361 is the ticket, if I want to go bigger I'll get a Dolmar (somehow, maybe... since I can't get them online) 7900 for serious power.

Im going to have a little breakfast, let the sun come up and warm things up a bit, then go sink its teeth in some wood. Looks like I've got my hands on some square chisel chain, thats been round ground? Doesn't look much like my semi chisel .325 chain that I have...

361.jpg

Anyways, here she is all new, pretty, and clean.

StihlHusqy.jpg

Yay, my first Stihl ever. :biggrinbounce2:

I don't even have my hands on my 7900 yet, but I would like to have a 361 or 357xp to fill that gap between the 5100 and 7900. And I do prefer the inboard clutch, now, although it's not that big a deal for me.

Nice looking saw. You will like your first Stihl.
Congrats:clap:

Congrats, The 361 is the first Stihl saw that can match the preformance of a Husky.:biggrinbounce2:

Well almost

Congrats on the new 361

Looks good, now get to breakin that baby in!

I just spent an hour hopefully bringing my little 41 back from a long nap... we'll know in a minute or two if it runs.

nice looking saw, the 353 that is, but what are you going to do with that other saw sitting next to it? Congrats from a fellow 353 owner on the new one enjoy it and give us a report

Thanks!

Yea, my 353 wasn't that 'outclassed' by the wood Im cutting... but I wanted to jump up to the next class of saws if I was going to get the 353 a friend:hmm3grin2orange:

Anyways, got it tuned up at the store and bought a spare, non safety chain to go with it. Both are full chisel (looks square, but round filed? ) so Im sticking to the cleanest wood I can find, Russian olive. Its light enough for little ole me to swing around and limb, which is nice. It also rips through the bigger bucking cuts very nicely, it can sing like a Husky but feels like its got some impressive low end to pull through the cut if you dog it in a little too much. I like it :rockn: :rockn:

I can't wait to see how its running after 10 tanks... here's some pics of the trees Im clearing out that have fallen over in a swampy area of a pasture.

Got a 6.5 Grendel build going on... its going to be a little delayed now:jester:

Took the 361 out to some cotton wood, this thing tore it up :popcorn: I bucked up the limb/trunk, it ranged went from 12" up to 22"... the 361 ate it like no tomorrow. I broke my 353 out, and it was pretty impressive in the soft wood... definatly the fastest cuts I've made with that saw. Then the 361 came out and burned through the log 2-2.5 times faster.

I know the comparison isn't totally equal, but its fun to run a saw Im used to, then make some cuts with the new saw... makes me like it even more :) Okay, this is the last update for now, I have a few tanks through it and Im VERY happy with it. I want to compare it to an older Husqy 268 when I can... but till then Im just gonna keep cuttin wood and getting it broke in:chainsaw:

Got a 6.5 Grendel build going on... its going to be a little delayed now:jester:

Took the 361 out to some cotton wood, this thing tore it up :popcorn: I bucked up the limb/trunk, it ranged went from 12" up to 22"... the 361 ate it like no tomorrow. I broke my 353 out, and it was pretty impressive in the soft wood... definatly the fastest cuts I've made with that saw. Then the 361 came out and burned through the log 2-2.5 times faster.

I know the comparison isn't totally equal, but its fun to run a saw Im used to, then make some cuts with the new saw... makes me like it even more :) Okay, this is the last update for now, I have a few tanks through it and Im VERY happy with it. I want to compare it to an older Husqy 268 when I can... but till then Im just gonna keep cuttin wood and getting it broke in:chainsaw:

I've got a 268xp. If yours is in good shape, I'll bet it'll cut about as fast as the 361. Of course it's heavier...

Its a non XP model, in pretty good shape, I think its about 10 years old but pretty lightly used (firewood saw). And yes, it is heavier... definatly noticeable, not something I'd want to swing around afternoon. I'd end up grounding it Im sure.

Its a non XP model, in pretty good shape, I think its about 10 years old but pretty lightly used (firewood saw). And yes, it is heavier... definatly noticeable, not something I'd want to swing around afternoon. I'd end up grounding it Im sure.

I've mostly used mine for bucking up 30' lengths of birch I get delivered, and in that situation a little weight is an advantage. Mine had run for 20 years with very minimal maintenance. A great saw.

Latest posts

Back