new saw on the horizon

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike1273

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My 026pro needs some work & I currently have trees on the ground (in my opinion) going to waste. I made some calls & have decided that next week I'm getting a Stihl 460 magnum. Last night I was doing a bit of reading on here & found that some shops & stores (ace hardware) do have some 361's left in stock. Well, I was close to an ace today so I stopped in, & low & behohold a 361 stared back at me. I talked to the guy the first approached me with a barrage of questions I knew he would have to go to the manager for answers to. Well he brought the manager to me, I asked a bottom line price to take ghe olld stock saw so he could order some new stock..... $599.99 on the saw, he said cash; he would take $20 off. I walked away! For reference that was in a different town. The dealer here in tow that I have no use for, $500 before trying to haggle. Now I pose my question, should I order the 460 mag for under $900 with a 25" bar or save some money & haggle with local a**hole over a 361? I believer the 361 will suit my needs more now but not so much over the long term as the 460. I do plan to revive the 026 as a limbing or brush saw, maybe a port job in the future. I need some creamsykle guidance, none of the orange sherbert kind though.

If you can get a 361 for $500 you need to buy it even if you don't want it. You could easily make your money back and then some for your trouble. A 460 is a good saw and will pull a 32" bar if needed decent. Never run a 361 so no comment on the power of it. I would buy the 361 and see if it will suit your needs for now and not worry about a bigger saw until later. I think $900 is a bit steep for a 460 too.

I think the 361 is a great saw. Would do anyhting a homeowner/firewood guy could was for the most part. But, seeing as you have a 026 already, I would pony up for the 460. 460 is my most used saw.

I'm going to make a call tomorrow on the 361 to make sure they still have it. I'm still thinking the 460 is going to be the better choice. Its easy to put a smaller b/c on & scream through some smaller stuff; but it ain't always best to go the other route. Could be why my 026 is in need of a good saw doc now. I'm thinking of doing a full woods port or having it done while the 026 is in need of other work. I think the price the guy quoted me for the 460 was 829 or 849. He was almost 100 less than anyone. I will say I would like to have the 361 but if I go with the wood port 026 & a 460, then maybe a smaller limbing saw for when needed. Right now I have them money for the big saw & don't want to underbuy again. My 026 is my first saw! Having extra money for a big saw don't come to often so I want to make the wisest decision. I was personally considering the 650 or 660 magnum; the dealers I spoke with reccomended the 460 for my needs.

go with the wood port 026 & a 460, then maybe a smaller limbing saw for when needed.

i think a well ported 026 should handle about 80% or so of what the 361 can do, others may correct me. then for what the 026 can't handle you have one of the best saws made, the 460. do it, you know you want to!

Its a tough choice indeed. Could consider getting the brand new 361 for 5 bills, then take the other four bills and get a decent used 460...046. I bet that you will find the 361 (like many others) is the "go to saw"...Two very nice saws for 9 bills instead of one very nice saw for 9 nine bills is what I would see! :clap:

i think a well ported 026 should handle about 80% or so of what the 361 can do, others may correct me. then for what the 026 can't handle you have one of the best saws made, the 460. do it, you know you want to!
I was thinking that a ported 026 would negate the need for the 361. I was also thinking how much the 460 will get used versus a ported 026. Once its on the ground (which most is storm clean up) except for bucking trunks, the 026 would be in the spotlight. Right now I have 4 hickories & 1 gum tree down. The smallest is 18" or so in diameter, the largest is 32" in diameter. There are trees of all sizes here on my moms property. There are white oaks probably 40", eventuaully they will fall prey to high winds or disease or who knows what. I may wait until Thursday to see if I have a chance to work some more overtime before I make a decision. I've pretty much made my mind up ont the 460, but with the possibility of needing a 361 sized saw does bring me apprehention. I will make a call none the less tomorrow & see if they still have the 361 for 500. Throw the extra cash in the pickle jar & save a while longer for the 460. Not only am I inheriting this land, but I do have my eye on a similiar sized tract mostly wooded along a river near by. I want to be prepared, not in need & wishing. Does it look like the 460 will fall to the wayside of a 461 or 462 anytime soon? By no means do I use a saw to make a living but I do use them to make my life easie, & to help those that need it. I do have a question, how well does a 361 pull a 25" bar in hardwood? Is this really where I would find the 460 (even with more weight) handier? Also, I'm really not interested in buying a used saw; maybe I over used the 026 or maybe the previous owner did.

i've never ran a 361 so i can't tell you what size bar it can pull well. i can say that an 026, 361 and a 460 is probably a bit redundent meaning they overlap alot in their abilities. it seems to me the 460 will fit you better than a 361 with having the large trees you have. the 460 will run any bar the 361 will, however the reverse can not be said for the 361.

if you buy the 460 i don't think you will ever say i should have got the 361, but if you get the 361 and it won't do all the cutting you need done...

I think the 361 now and after you rebuild and sell the 026 buy a 066 for the big stuff... 361 066 would be a better saw plan then 026 460 IMHO... Just my .02 worth..

I run a ported 260 and a 361, use the 260 as the go to saw on almost everything. I like the 361 but its to close in size to the 260. I would rather have a 440/441 which gives you a 50cc and 70cc saw. I have run both the 440 and 460 and like the power to weight ratio of the 440.

Plus the price tag on a 440/441 gives you enough extra cash to port out the 260. I like the 440 over the 441, but would not pass on a 441 if the deal was right.

I run a ported 260 and a 361, use the 260 as the go to saw on almost everything. I like the 361 but its to close in size to the 260. I would rather have a 440/441 which gives you a 50cc and 70cc saw. I have run both the 440 and 460 and like the power to weight ratio of the 440.

Plus the price tag on a 440/441 gives you enough extra cash to port out the 260. I like the 440 over the 441, but would not pass on a 441 if the deal was right.

Well, the last 2 weeks I've worked my butt off to have the money for a new saw. I will check into the 441, but it seems as a popular concensus that the 460 is a better choice. I'm not limiting myself to a single or even a few opinions. I've worked way too hard lately not to spend my money as wisely as possible. Plus I really do want to get the 026 fixed & opened up. I would like the 026 with an 18" bar for limbing (less bending) & some bucking. This will be my first new saw & I plan to get a smaller saw for bills***t work. Maybe a redmax or a small cheap stihl or husky homeowner model. I know next Thursday I will be in shape to wlak in with cash & deal. If they don't want to, I will walk.

Sounds like you are leaning toward the 460, I think its a tough call. Price is great on that 361, but if you are going to be doing the same stuff you are with a decent 026, I say buy the bigger saw.
Ive heard a lot of good out of the 440/441, but if it were me I would make the leap into the 460 as well. Hope it works out for you...

I'd take a 440 over a 460 but those are hard to find these days. The 441 and 460 are just about even power wise and weigh the same. Both are great saws, just depends on what ya like.

Back