New saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jjtree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok folks looking for a new saw, dont know which to get. For the last two years I've run an echo 355t it's been a good saw till it went out the back of the truck. The only down sides the fuel and oil holes are small and the caps dont seem to keep a good sill. So stay with echo, or a 201t sthil, or perhaps the husqvarna t540 xp or perhaps the t435. Pros and cons of each or perhaps even another saw altogether.

I have used a T435 quite a bit. Personally I would not recommend it. It runs pretty good but is finicky on tuning and is a cold blooded bastard. Maybe its just the one we have though. Regardless of what you get and I am sure you know already but listen to it or check it with a tach, the T435 we have came screaming lean from the factory.

EDIT: The Echo CS-2511T sure looks like a sweet saw.

Our 200T and 201T are both good saws, but they seem to bog down a lot. I used a 435 once and loved it, but my boss is a Stihl guy so we stick with those. I don’t think you can go wrong with one of the two Sthils or Huskies, or a modded 2511.

Good question what brand would you purchase? I would have a tough time choosing a new saw with all the bells, whistles the manufacturers added. I haven’t talked with my husky dealer yet about it. It seems to me no bells, no whistles equals no problems.? So who has the best quality chain saw right now?

If I were going to purchase a new chain saw today it would be a pro chainsaw.

What is jred offering today.?

Good question what brand would you purchase? I would have a tough time choosing a new saw with all the bells, whistles the manufacturers added. I haven’t talked with my husky dealer yet about it. It seems to me no bells, no whistles equals no problems.? So who has the best quality chain saw right now?

If I were going to purchase a new chain saw today it would be a pro chainsaw.

What is jred offering today.?
The best I can find on Johnsered is the 2139 or 2135

Here is a link to a thread discussing top handle saws. Some of it I agree with some not. The Stihl 201t is a very good saw now that it's gone through all the updates to fix the early saws which had a lack of power. Still nothing beats the old 200T.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...hare_fid=1392778&share_type=t&link_source=app

New well set up 201's run closer to a 200t than many accept. Too often a saw on a forum is judged solely by its power, cut times & RPM which tell a minor part of a models story. Rarely do folks mention the fuel efficient 2Mix engine the 201 has that translates to much less downtime which is a big deal for a climber, or the hugely improved AV system, easier to start both cold/hot, the less noise or different non ear piercing tone the 201 has. I have both models and on the rare occaision I get out my back up 200t for a run just to clear out the cob webs, it reminds me why I kept this semi clapped out high hour dinosaur! But a 201 has some real advantages that often get over looked. I like the little Japanese TH's too, specs are great, reliability is strong but plastic oil tanks won't survive the same beating a mag one will. As for Husky TH's...well sadly they have never really made a good one, earlier models were probably better than current ones. I do have faith though, they are a very capable brand that can produce a brilliant saw when they try hard enough. These saws often end up in the hands of pro users, they are precision saws that balance like no other. Hold them up by one finger under the top handle & the saw will sit FLAT. But as they are used for such important work, reliability trumps over any 'feature' and what's most important is that they start, run & perform day after day without hesitation for its owner.

New well set up 201's run closer to a 200t than many accept. Too often a saw on a forum is judged solely by its power, cut times & RPM which tell a minor part of a models story. Rarely do folks mention the fuel efficient 2Mix engine the 201 has that translates to much less downtime which is a big deal for a climber, or the hugely improved AV system, easier to start both cold/hot, the less noise or different non ear piercing tone the 201 has. I have both models and on the rare occaision I get out my back up 200t for a run just to clear out the cob webs, it reminds me why I kept this semi clapped out high hour dinosaur! But a 201 has some real advantages that often get over looked. I like the little Japanese TH's too, specs are great, reliability is strong but plastic oil tanks won't survive the same beating a mag one will. As for Husky TH's...well sadly they have never really made a good one, earlier models were probably better than current ones. I do have faith though, they are a very capable brand that can produce a brilliant saw when they try hard enough. These saws often end up in the hands of pro users, they are precision saws that balance like no other. Hold them up by one finger under the top handle & the saw will sit FLAT. But as they are used for such important work, reliability trumps over any 'feature' and what's most important is that they start, run & perform day after day without hesitation for its owner.

I've got a 200T. I don't like using it without earpulugs. That being said, it's an awesome saw for cutting small stuff up to 8" fast. I'd dare say that it cuts faster than my MS241. My dad was helping me with something, and he doesn't normally comment on tools like saws. He remarked after using that saw for a bit that it was crazy fast for it's weight.

Johnsered is effectively a dead brand.[emoji17]
For me Jonsered died many years ago when the brand changed hands. But when Husky recently put the final nail in its coffin, I was sad. Today much has changed, we are cornered into handling orange tools. Yellow Partners & Macs... Red Solo's & Jreds were muh favourites. Sheez you can't even buy a red Dolmar anymore...:(:(:cry::cry::cry:
:sucks:

I've got a 200T. I don't like using it without earpulugs. That being said, it's an awesome saw for cutting small stuff up to 8" fast. I'd dare say that it cuts faster than my MS241. My dad was helping me with something, and he doesn't normally comment on tools like saws. He remarked after using that saw for a bit that it was crazy fast for it's weight.
They have been accepted as one of the best saws ever made for good reason. Though back in the day when they were first designed, engineers were less hampered by regulation requirements than they are today. Its not what's best that we find on dealership shelves... its what's allowed by law. Though regulation does drive innovation, but sadly the industry can't always keep up which leads to odd features on modern saws, the CAT muffler for example!

I like the 201T for a new top handle. Admittedly, it’s the only one I’ve used of the current group, and I’m usually just topping out to set up a back spar or something for rigging-which I think is impressive seeing as that’s often a pretty big piece of wood to cut for that size saw. The Echo top handles have a good reputation, and the T540 is probably a pretty solid option as well. While I am a big fan of the rest of the Husqvarna lineup, I do not like Husqvarna top handle saws.

That said, the T540 is probably a good tool, just as any “pro” level chainsaw on the market today. I would use this analogy: I don’t much care for Snap-On impact sockets, and much prefer MAC, Proto or Matco. The Snap-On is still a damn fine tool, but I just happen to like something else better. It’s not a perfect analogy because, well, almost all my box is made up of MAC & Proto stuff, but it’s close enough.

saw to get new I would say if your on a tight budget echo if money aint a option stihl hsqvarna or jred good luck getting a new saw. there are plenty of nice used saws out there also don't forget just no what your buying cheap big bore kits on a saw from china I would stay far away from or replace with a quality part. good luckin finding the right saw lots of nice options out there:drinkingcoffee:

Back