New signs on my stumpgrinding trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Signs look great. I've had yard signs done professionally off the internet. In high traffic areas I "negotiate" the price contingent on the customer allowing me to put a sign out for 30 days. I get a ton of work from this - neighbors see the job I did and my sign. Amazing how much work I see done and have to wonder who did it. I go back - pick up the sign - thank my customer - and ask if they have anything else that needs to be done. I pass along a lot of tree jobs to the guys that support me.

On another topic - I've got a Carlton SP4012 and it has been great. Just make sure to get one of the bigger engines. If this tropical storm season is busy I'll get a SP7015 and get rid of my tow behind - still keep the SP4012.

After 4 years, I finally got lettering put on my stumpgrinding trailer. I think I should get noticed around town more with this advertising. What do you think??
Jeff

Looks good! Just keep in mind that with signage comes liability, so be sure to carry commercial insurance and get some TXDOT numbers on that truck. If you have an accident while towing that you will be considered a commercial truck regardless.

Thanks,
Yes, I have commercial insurance. However, we are not supposed to need TXDOT numbers if we are under CDL weight requirements, and, if we do not fall under any DOT regulations, like hauling hazmat stuff. At least, that is what my insurance carrier has told me.
I guess if I ever get stopped, I will find out for sure.:msp_unsure:

Looks good! Just keep in mind that with signage comes liability, so be sure to carry commercial insurance and get some TXDOT numbers on that truck. If you have an accident while towing that you will be considered a commercial truck regardless.

Thanks,
Yes, I have commercial insurance. However, we are not supposed to need TXDOT numbers if we are under CDL weight requirements, and, if we do not fall under any DOT regulations, like hauling hazmat stuff. At least, that is what my insurance carrier has told me.
I guess if I ever get stopped, I will find out for sure.:msp_unsure:

Im sorry to sound like a debbie downer, but I would hate to see someone get nailed for not having them, I'm thinkin its a federal matter.

I would double check with TXDOT directly, you may be considered a commercial vehicle once you put signs on the rig, the truck without the trailer may not be a commercial truck, but once you hook up to the trailer it is a company truck out doing work its a different animal.

Without signs combined weight is the deciding factor. If you leave the state (Live near a state line) you would need to get DOT numbers and not the TXDOT (Or INDOT in my case) door numbers (Intrastate VS. Interstate). I only bring this up because once you are towing a signed trailer the DOT guys will notice you, and if you ever have an accident the "Victim of an evil commercial truck accident" will hire an atty that will notice you dont have em.

Mine were free and if you have the insurance already you would incur no new costs but it may save you a ticket. I know around here the DOT is looking for reasons to pull guys over that look commercial, and Lord help you if your wheelbarrow is not tied down with THREE straps. I avoid the interstate at all costs anymore.

I will double check. But, remember, we are in TEXAS, a RED state. A lot of rules that apply in other states, do not apply here. Sometimes unwanted federal rules crammed down our throat, are not too closely enforced either.;):laugh:
One official state slogan being used a lot here in Texas is:" Texas is open for business".
Jeff

Yeah, we are a RED state but somehow voted wrong? Go figure?

Anyway as of July 1st we can carry switchblades!

MIDOT has been a pita here too. A few years ago they made any vehicle with signage and totaled 10,000 lbs. gvw combined (truck and trailer) get USDOT numbers. This put all the lawn care, handyman (with a trailer) etc., into the DOT category. They changed it back to 26,000 lbs. combined this year and did away with needing the chauffeur designation on your drivers license. Still if you get pulled over and have signage get ready for the full inspection (lights, trailer hookup, fire extinguisher, flares or reflective triangles).

Back