New Smart Phone App Controlled Wood Stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m suspicious of all these connected gadgets in the home. One of the features I like best about my stove is it’s simplicity.

Kind of like cars. It’s like we’ve run out of improvements so we focus on making everything interface with a phone.

Just not my cup of tea.

I had always wished I future proofed my OWB but running a CAT-5 cable thru the conduit to the furnace. I haven't seen a networked technology for this but it would be nice for me to use my phone to see the current temp of my furnace when I'm not home. Also be able to see the trends over time along side outside temp. I would imagine you could fine tune the min/max for more efficiency. Ahh technology!

Unless it will put wood in for you I don’t see much use for a connected wood heating device.

My old VC stove had a bimetallic spring to control the primary air. I initially thought it was a great feature. It would close the air down in an over fire situation but it would open as the fire died down leaving very little coals for a relight. The same goes with a forced draft hooked to a thermostat.

My new stove has no fancy thermostat. Get the fire going and then set the primary air for the heat output/burn time you want. Simple.

I had always wished I future proofed my OWB but running a CAT-5 cable thru the conduit to the furnace. I haven't seen a networked technology for this but it would be nice for me to use my phone to see the current temp of my furnace when I'm not home. Also be able to see the trends over time along side outside temp. I would imagine you could fine tune the min/max for more efficiency. Ahh technology!

I have a CB and my firestar app is one of my favorite things about the stove. I have a window up on my laptop all the time and it's the first item on my phone browser. It's kinda crazy cause you know what it's doing but you are still checking. I literally only open the door twice a day on the boiler.

I built my own in 2012. Like panolo said, it's convenient to look at, but it's almost always doing what it's supposed to be doing. Although, it is kinda of nice getting alerts on your phone when it isn't, but there's usually nothing you can do about it if you're not there anyway.
Capture.JPG

Who's gonna adjust it, or load if it's not working properly or runs out of fuel? If someone steals your phone they have access to your gadgets.
I shut down my stove when ever I leave the house for more then an hour or so. I'll pass on this one. Not really practical, IMO

You can't do any adjustments with mine. It's more to keep an eye on how the OWB is burning. I find it rather handy to watch over everything.

I’m suspicious of all these connected gadgets in the home. One of the features I like best about my stove is it’s simplicity.

Kind of like cars. It’s like we’ve run out of improvements so we focus on making everything interface with a phone.

Just not my cup of tea.

I'm with you, KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid!

« Thousands of adjustments per seconds » I will wait for the one that will make millions of adjustments per seconds.

Latest posts

Back