New splitter valve from Prince

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brilliant! Not much info on the website, but it's a 4th position valve. I think it's a simple regeneration spool porting in that position. Regen only works in extend, but oil returning from the rod side ports over to the closed side. The net force and speed are based on the rod steel area only. Essentially, it becomes a portapower ram pushing against the rod area only so it moves faster with less force.

Downsides: only work in extend, but retract is detented and often going for more wood anyway. For making a second pass, there WILL still be waiting time in retract.
Doesn't automatically kick to full force like a true external regen valve does. Have to manually move back to the third position for full force and slow extend.

Up side, and it's big: 1. they have a whole new market for people who can upgrade their splitter speed without pump change. Pump change by itself is not such a big change, but suction strainer, suction line, pressure hoses, return sizing, etc all are tough to change, and expensive. Here, under $100 for a bolt on valve, and go for it.

2. lot of low end builders price point sensitive can use this valve instead of a two stage pump, less cost, less line sizes, and still advertise extends in xx seconds. Nothing wrong with that either. It will improve the low price tiny machines, like the Brave portable 3 inch would be awesome with this improvement. All the little ones are way too slow with 3 gpm max pumps.

I would still build with two stage pump from scratch, but will run the numbers later on this and report back. may be a real cost improvement alternative on the small machines. OR, might even speed up the two stage 11 gpm 5 hp machines a LOT ! If it did that, I'd buy one to upgrade the 5 hp 11 gpm one I have shares in.

tks for info, looks like an awesome product in what appreast to be a 'me too' marketplace products.

k

The LSR has the added benefit of being specifically built to reduce system costs by working with single stage pumps. When extra force is needed, the LSR allows the user to manually shift from high speed mode to high force mode. This eliminates the need for a Hi-Lo pump and reduces the overall cost of a typical log splitter.

it's just for a single stage pump?

I noticed it just this evening while browsing prince's website. Very interesting. I am doing some splitter upgrades soon which leads me to a question on hydraulics, but I'll post a separate thread.

Looks like another way to get the cost of a splitter cheaper. I am guessing we will start seeing splitters with these valves on them this fall.

Might be interesting with a 10 gpm pump.

Don

very very creative solution.

why can't you run this with a 2 stage pump????

I'm not sure of the theory behind this new valve but I believethey came up with it so a 2-stage pump could be eliminated. I can't say for sure but it sounds like if you used it with a 2-stage pump when you would hit the high pressure setting on either unit the other wouldn't kick-in.

If you are going to build a splitter from scratch. This would be somewhat OK. You would have to size your motor, pump, hoses and cylinder around the valve. Just a guess right now, but, If you have a 5gpm pump that you want to run at say 2000psi. You will need a 12hp motor. And you would need a cylinder with at least 1" ports/hoses.

scan0001.jpg

If you are going to build a splitter from scratch. This would be somewhat OK. You would have to size your motor, pump, hoses and cylinder around the valve. Just a guess right now, but, If you have a 5gpm pump that you want to run at say 2000psi. You will need a 12hp motor. And you would need a cylinder with at least 1" ports/hoses.

scan0001.jpg

Took awhile to wrap my head around the concept. Your image helped. I was able to follow the flow and see that was happening in all 4 positions.
My splitter has a single stage pump. Hmm, my splitter could use a little $love.xx

very very creative solution.

why can't you run this with a 2 stage pump?

It will physically work just fine with two stage, the issue is cylinder speed in regen mode. I'm an advocate of more speed, less tons, but I ran some numbers and it is WAY too fast. Just for example, a cylinder with 1.5 inch rod and 11 gpm/2.9 gpm pump I think was 1 or 2 seconds to extend in the regen mode at 11 gpm.

Regen puts rod side oil back to the closed side, so the pump flow causes motion based on the net rod (steel) area. It also means force is low, based on rod area. The intent is to hold in regen position 4 for fast motion until it hits wood, move back to position 3 for pump against full piston area to split. Then position 1 for retract. Unfortunately, retract is still at the slower speed but with detent, hopefully that is not wasted time always.

I think it's niche is the small splitters, or price conscious market. The OEM price should be very little difference than std valve. It allows single stage pump, smaller suction lines, saves costs.

For upgrade where you have to buy the entire valve new, I'd put the money to a two stage pump instead. But.... if the suction strainer and line were too small to support a larger two stage, this valve would be a good option to improve performance with essentially bolt on parts.

Return line and filter have to be large enough for the increased speed of course.

k

Latest posts

Back