New Stihl 261 C-M!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Zach1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New forum, new saw!! Got her last week and cut up some wood over the weekend (sorry I couldn't take pics). Nice and smooth, love the 18" bar.
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Nice saw! I'd love to run one of those that's broken in and bury it into something that makes it really work and see how it perform's. That's about the perfect firewood saw for weight.

Great saw! Congratulations, envy the CM. Our normal 261's have been outstanding, the oldest one should hit 500 cords total accumulated over multiple seasons at the end of this year, the 361 gets less use than ever, just feed it Ultra and good 91 octane fuel and it should last a lifetime.

Great saw! Congratulations, envy the CM. Our normal 261's have been outstanding, the oldest one should hit 500 cords total accumulated over multiple seasons at the end of this year, the 361 gets less use than ever, just feed it Ultra and good 91 octane fuel and it should last a lifetime.

Yeah, I haven't been able to put a lot of time in with the saw yet but she has run great with what I've cut so far. I can't wait to spend a few days really working it out. Right now I am running Motomix in it, easier to find than ethanol free around here and since we have a number of saws it didn't seem like a bad investment.

Did you buy the 6-pack of Ultra to double the warranty?
Got a 6 pack of Motomix, same idea though.

Even though the felling dawg is thinner stamped metal, it's stihl more robust than any other saw in the range.

They're only wimpy looking if you allow them to be...

null_zps2e9c22eb.jpg

Arctic too. Nice. Good choice replacing that spike. I always get the dual spike kit and chain roller put on. Looks much better.
I've had absolutely no problems at all and mine was one of the first ones.

Do the old sprocket covers fit on the new saws? I see the new ones look different.

I don't think so. I know the contours are a little different between the 260 and 261, but they both use the same double dawg kit from a 341. The inside of the new covers have some nice curves to help with chip ejection. I've not tried it, but I'll bet the 441 R cover will fit on the 261.

Back