New stihl 880 build cylinder looks like its missing plating

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only if the 454 you shoehorn in was made at several different Chinese tractor factories and half of each cylinder liner is missing- then you might have a legitimate argument.
No need to shoehorn a big block into a 70 Chevelle, plenty of room in that engine bay. Even the Nova & Camaro's are easy. Now the Vega was a bit tighter.

No need to shoehorn a big block into a 70 Chevelle, plenty of room in that engine bay. Even the Nova & Camaro's are easy. Now the Vega was a bit tighter.
I loved the old Chevys. Most everything would bolt right in. Go from a 230 I-6 w/powerglide to a 454 w/muncie.

I put a muncie w/hurst shifter from a Vette into a C10 truck I had.

I loved the old Chevys. Most everything would bolt right in. Go from a 230 I-6 w/powerglide to a 454 w/muncie.

I put a muncie w/hurst shifter from a Vette into a C10 truck I had.

Yes super duper- but you are talking about putting a Chev motor into a Chev car to upgrade.
Bit like bolting a Stihl 066 top end onto a Stihl 064 chassis and bottom end- still OEM but not a factory option.
Not buying a Chev copy, adding some Chev bits and calling it good.

We had much better options over here- we had real Aussie Holdens and the steering wheels were already on the correct side! :laugh:

What about a chevy or ford in a wellies gasser that's mixed up I understand some people prefer oem parts to aftermarket parts when it comes down to it if it's a good part use it when you build a race car ford chevy dodge most all of the parts are aftermarket can't run down to a dealer and say I need a msd ignition for my 69 charger drag car example I don't have that car lol ever change plugs in your car do they say ford chevy dodge no there is nothing wrong with aftermarket as long as it's a good aftermarket I can name alot of saw builders use hyway metor cross ccc pistons just has to meet or exceed oem that's all

Yes super duper- but you are talking about putting a Chev motor into a Chev car to upgrade.
Bit like bolting a Stihl 066 top end onto a Stihl 064 chassis and bottom end- still OEM but not a factory option.
Not buying a Chev copy, adding some Chev bits and calling it good.

We had much better options over here- we had real Aussie Holdens and the steering wheels were already on the correct side! :laugh:
I was trying to point out the old Chevys, and old GMs parts would swap out/interchange easy, bolt right in. Unlike Fords and Mopars.

For instance, putting a big block in a Mopar, that had a SB or 6, meant getting a whole different crossmember

I still have a 68 RS/SS Camaro that came with a big block, it's got a 69 LT1 350 small block now. Not much you needed to swap except except motor mounts and exhaust headers. Even starter motor swapped.

You guys drive on the wrong side of the road anyway............:dizzy:

I've used alot of aftermarket parts that lasted I had a I think it was a blue thunder back 5 years ago when I was logging full time I ran the hell out of that saw used it 2 years before I scored the cylinder and it cut alot of timber with a 28inch bar my whole thing is I don't care who makes where they make what color it is if it does the job I don't have a issue with it

Yall talked me into it I ordered stihl oem 880 cylinder and piston yall made some good points that I agree with the quality control thing big point there this is a monster saw can't really take chances with it
Why put a OEM cylinder on a china saw makes no sense? the cylinder kit would be worth more than the saw 😆
By the time you are done spending upgrading all the **** parts on this saw to OEM Stihl ya could of bought a genuine Stihl ms880 lol

Why put a OEM cylinder on a china saw makes no sense? the cylinder kit would be worth more than the saw 😆
By the time you are done spending upgrading all the **** parts on this saw to OEM Stihl ya could of bought a genuine Stihl ms880 lol
Yes, a trashed Stihl is a better starting point.

No big saws but I've put ~$300 into Stihls I got free and had almost new with all NOS OEM. All my 038S---->038M were (Whoops, 1 was a Tecomec P/C good as NOS got pics)

Got this 036 FREE. Cat says piston is toast

Roxy the Cat says its junk.jpg

Cyl cleaned up nice

cyl ex side.jpg

made this

DSC_0015.JPG

I had to source these...some from dealer some online

036 rebuild cost ~$230 w/new bar/chain/clutch upgrade piston

ItemSourceCost ($)
Seized sawfriendfree
NOS OEM piston /rings no pin/clipsCheapstillparts45
Piston pinDealer14
circlipsDealer1.40
Gasket setDealer13.75
Clutch upgradeDealer30
Muffler paintHardware store5
Sandpaper detergentHardware store10
Fuel lineDealer9.50
Carb kitDealer11
Impulse lineDealer4
Upper bearingDealer9
Spark plug3.25
Oil pump line kitDealer5
20” RSC chainebay15
20” ES barebay53

A few months back, I had to replace the cylinder and piston on my Magnum 460. I opted to buy a Hyway Titanikel cyl and popup piston kit with Tabor rings. I have to say that the cylinder looked better than my oem cylinder. The casting had no flashing what so ever and the inside of the cylinder was perfect. The piston looked really good also. The only thing different was the piston weight. The Titanikel piston was 4 grams heavier than the oem piston.
The 460 runs great and has a lot of compression and power. I don't forsee any problems in the future, as the Titanikel cylinder coating is suppose to be harder and better then the Nikasil coating.

About 2000 to 2200 is what a 880 cost
2300 will get you a ms661 down here. You can pick up a new cylinder kit for ms880 for about 700-800 bucks here.. They have come down in cost I remember about $900 could get you a ms880 or 3120 cylinder kit.
There is only one reason people mess around with the knock off China stuff it's cheap nothing more. To call it as good or better than what you get on pro saws from Stihl or husky is a stretch of the truth at best.
Some people are fine with a cheap Chinese saw and that's fine but there is a reason professionals that run saws to make a living don't run or rely on china junk. The cylinder you posted is a perfect example of the rubbish China floods the world with.

Hyway cylinder are good cylinders I've never burned one up I can name alot of good cylinders if I have oem I'll use it as long as the timing numbers are good there is alot to look at I went to stihl today we checked the squish on a 881 41 thousands that's not very good and tearing down a new saw to perform is to pricey like I said I've cut timber for years I've laughed at the aftermarket stuff then I used some of it but I understand a bunch of people have had nothing but problems and were it's made I understand all that but as for me I don't care who makes or were it's from if it works as good as the oem I'm not paying more money for oem I did get oem cylinder for 880 chooses were limited so I'll have 3 cylinders to choose from I'll build 3 saws we see witch one is better I'll post video of all 3 cutting let's see if anyone can pick the stock oem saw out

Latest posts

Back