new Stihl ms 661 CMR

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiopride

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just picked up a new 661 cmr with a 32 inch bar.here are some pictures.Dealer said it was his first time seeing the new style dogs 661cmr2.jpg 661cmr3.jpg and it also came with the improved straight intake boot 661cmr1.jpgand dont know if i didnt notice on the other 661s but there is a rubber deflecter at the back of the chip shoot661cmr4.jpgHavent got to put her in some wood yet but she seems very well balanced and starts on first pull

i bought one a few weeks back. my opinion on it is it really is a nice saw. to me i liked it bucking but i like the 660 alot more for anything else. i'm not sure why exactly but i think it could be that it's limited or something? the 660 is just an all around good machine. the 661 seems to have a bit more balls bucking though. i sold it to buy another 660 before i even had a chance to work on it lol.

just curious what
i bought one a few weeks back. my opinion on it is it really is a nice saw. to me i liked it bucking but i like the 660 alot more for anything else. i'm not sure why exactly but i think it could be that it's limited or something? the 660 is just an all around good machine. the 661 seems to have a bit more balls bucking though. i sold it to buy another 660 before i even had a chance to work on it lol.

just curious what do mean by limited

when i talk about a limited RPM that doesn't really matter bucking. i notice more limbing. it's wired as i don't tunr my 660's hire then 13k anyways but they are just more of a joy to use doing the work i do then the 661 is. i know of 2 661's with blown cranks owned by the same person. these are falling saws though so a firewood hack would not likely ever see what i'm talking about.

well i do hope i have a better experience than your friend i have recently started a low impact land clearing /land management business and that is one of the new saws i picked up so she will definitely be getting used

my friend? my experience was ok. it's a great bucking saw. if you not a production faller it should last you many many years. i wouldn't worry about it. the guy with 2 blown cranks had them both happen out of warranty. i'm not really friends with the guy but i know him and he has switch back to rebuilt 660's. he ran 7 tanks a day through it until it's death and i really don't know how long that was. it also never saw anything smaller then 36".

ok thank you for your input i just said friend as in the guy u mentioned and i was just concerned on making an investment on these new saws and them at least paying for themselves ive ran alot of the older saws and had great luck its just this new technology with the new saws that concern me and hearing of some of the problems with them

ok thank you for your input i just said friend as in the guy u mentioned and i was just concerned on making an investment on these new saws and them at least paying for themselves ive ran alot of the older saws and had great luck its just this new technology with the new saws that concern me and hearing of some of the problems with them

as far as i know the technology was not the problem. stihl just built them weaker them the 660. if your just a casual user i would not worry about it.

Back