Need advice on Stihl MS 461 / MS 462 / MS 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl dude

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello to all
I currently have in my line up the following saws: Stihl MS400 CM and Husky 288XP
I want to buy a new saw and I am wondering which one to buy and how well the saw will fit my line up. I mostly do firewood and occasionnaly I will be contracted to fall timber for residential projects (eastern Canada mostly hardwood and some soft wood).
In my area I have the following options:
MS 462 m tronic on the used market (advertised as used 1 time) at 1200$. I would put a bark box on it to increase power +80$ and a full wrap + 150-200$
MS 461 in good shape with 175 compression at 850$. I would put a bark box on it to increase power +80$ and a full wrap + 150-200$
MS 661 CM new from dealer 1660$ without taxes. Come with a full wrap

Which one would you recommend? Which one would fill the gap in my line up. I do like lighter saws but I am afraid the 460s are to close in power to my MS400
Let me know what you think/ recommend

I like my 462. It’s probably “better” in many respects than a 461, especially if you’re using it all the time. But if you need some occasional grunt the 461 is hard to beat. The 661 would be a replacement for the 288, which unless it’s completely worn out but has the displacement you need would make no sense. As much as I would like to justify a new 661.

IF I were you, I would "fill the gap" with a 500i R!
The used prices you posted, including the "wrap" kits, are more than I would want to pay, compared to new "R" models!
Yes the 461 vibrates like hell and the 500 is smooth for one reason alone.

Latest posts

Back