New Stihl ms250, won't start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sess21

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all. I'm new to chainsaws and small motors and looking for help.
I bought a new Stihl ms250 last fall and used it a few times. Then I made the mistake of letting it sit with the fuel in it (premium and hp ultra synthetic mix). Anyway, here we are 3 or so months later and I can't get it to start. I emptied it, cleaned the muffler, checked the air filter, disassembled the carb and cleaned it (it looked clean), and check that it had a spark (it does).
I received an emergency call from a lawn care customer and of course I need the saw this afternoon. Should I just make more mix and pray, should I buy the 0 ethanol gas from HD, is there some other kind of starter fluid I should purchase? Any advice is appreciated!

Make more mix for sure, stale old fuel won't burn. Use a dribble of it directly into the carb to try to start it.
Take off the bar/chain while you are trying to get it going.

Don't use starting fluid. It has no lubrication. Possibly flooded. Try keep throttle in wide open with switch in Run position (no choke ) May take dozen or so pulls. If still no luck, dealer should help under warranty. I have one. Nice saw that can do a lot.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

3 months isn't that long. I'd bet it's something else, although I'd dump the fuel just to be sure anyway.
+1 Also pick up a few cans of Motomix or Trufuel canned fuel. More expensive but long shelf life and can leave in saw without worry. Ethonol free and has stabilizer. I run it in saws when finished cutting.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back