New Stihl MS361, now what?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crashswip

Reaction score
I'm newly registered to the site and wanted to say hello. Also, I couldn'tt help buying a MS361 this morning. After reading all of the posts and how glad everyone is that owns one.

Of course I don't need something this powerful as I was just looking for something to use around the house and cabin once in awhile. As they saying goes, "Go big or go home".. I went big.

I had an 18 inch bar put on, as that seemed to be the most popular on this site. The bar is a Rollomatic E. What is the ES bar?

Are there any other recommended upgrades or options you would suggest?

I never thought I would say this, but I am going to go out and cut trees all day this weekend, just because I can =)

Thanks for all the info I found on this site.

Crash

ES bar has the replaceable tip.

Congrats on the new saw... :cheers:

Now go cut wood! I wouldn't worry about doin' a darn thing to that saw until you get used to cuttin' with it. It does just fine stock.

However... when the "need" arises... there are things that can be done to hop it up a bit.

EDIT: Oh yeah... welcome to AS!

Gary

Last edited:
Oh yeah, not just options and upgrades, but additional equipment to make the most out of a day of cutting.

Thanks for the replies already!

Crash

You got a great saw but before you start thinking about mods how about some PPE, chaps, boots, eye protection, etc...

Welcome by the way!

Oh yeah, not just options and upgrades, but additional equipment to make the most out of a day of cutting.

Thanks for the replies already!

Crash

Read the user manual!!!

Learn to file and touch up your own chains, if you don't already - and get some PPE if you don't have it.

Use RSC chain for clean wood, and RMC for dirty wood - touch up the chain every two tanks or so.

Get some wedges, and learn how to use them.

Don't forget to maintain the saw, and check the air filter every few hours (it is fast to check and "field clean!.

I guess I shouldn't have said modifications. I can't imagine needing more power than this will provide.

I should have said "additional equipment and maintenance tips" like safety equipment, wedges, spare parts, adjustments, etc.

Also, specific information would be very helpful since I don't have any local access to some gear in Philly.

I do have eye wear, ear wear, and boots. Chaps i never thought of. Where can I get these?

Again, thanks for the responses already!

Crash

You should be able to pick up all of the above mentioned equipment including the chaps at your local stihl dealer.

Welcome to the site.

Man you guys are fast with replies!

I was thinking the same thing, this thread has exploded! Must be the "MS361" in the title that got everybodys attention. I think from now on I'll just add it to the end of all my threads,

whats up with traffic lately....MS361

Another fan of the Labonville chaps here, reasonably priced, top notch construction, comfortable, and I like the green they come in! :clap:

Man you guys are fast with replies!

ya, all you got to do is mention a STIHL!

come out of the woodwork.

:cheers:

congrats on purchasing one of stihl's most expensive comsumer saws.

Most important spare parts (allways carry), bar nuts and the e/c clips that hold the sprocket in place......

Last edited:
Hello crashwhip welcome to the site and congrats on the new saw . There is tons of info on here and a great bunch of guys. Most of the guys around here swear by ppe (personal protection equipment) . My recomedations would be leave the saw stock right now run good oil,keep the filter clean and keep the chain sharp . Tools that make the job a little easir is a cant hook for rolling the logs to keep chain out of dirt a hatchet for knocking off the small limbs.I would at least by some chaps and one of those pro helmets, has the mesh face sheild ear protecion .

Back