New stove issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt7618

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Guys,

got a new stove fitted, burned it twice now and have small problem( or I think so), when both primary air, and secondary( screen wash) are closed shut, the fire is still burning at a resonable rate. we have moved from a masonry chimney to a flue liner. one other point is it has been windy. I know it's new and I will take time to learn it's ways, but shut off air surely it should die down.

any help, words of comfort before I call the installer and get him back to look at it.

Steve

If shutting down the air intake doesn't choke the fire down, then you must be getting air from another source. But, this would also lead me to believe that with the intakes wide open you would be entering an overfire situation due to too much air to the fire. If you do in fact have an air leak, it is likely coming from the door gasket or ash pan (if so equipped) not sealing completly. I can say that my Quadra-Fire will sustain a fire, just above a smolder, with both intakes closed. It has no damper in the flue.

I second that, you must have a leak somewhere, maybe ash door or something is not aligned correctly. When both levers closed all the way the fire should die within a few minutes.

If shutting down the air intake doesn't choke the fire down, then you must be getting air from another source. But, this would also lead me to believe that with the intakes wide open you would be entering an overfire situation due to too much air to the fire. If you do in fact have an air leak, it is likely coming from the door gasket or ash pan (if so equipped) not sealing completly. I can say that my Quadra-Fire will sustain a fire, just above a smolder, with both intakes closed. It has no damper in the flue.

thanks guys, that was my worry to, over firing! there must be a leak, but will more than likely get the installer to sort it as its only a few days old and don't see why I should have to tinker with a brand new stove.

I second that, you must have a leak somewhere, maybe ash door or something is not aligned correctly. When both levers closed all the way the fire should die within a few minutes.

Although his stove is not an EPA stove located where he is, your statement is not totally true. There are several current EPA stoves on the market in NA that have "zipper" air ducts that continue to feed varying small amounts of air even with the primary air shut. It almost sounds like his primary air is not completely shutting down although leaks may, as you suggested, be coming from other sources.

ok,

said I wasn't going to tinker, but being a man, I just had to have a little look see!

The handle/knob for the air source control ( door wash ) was loose, I mean nearly falling off, this in turn, wasn't allowing the plate behind to form a "seal" when closed as they tighten each other. Problem solved, put the handle on properly!

Shut her down last night, nice bed of coals this morning:smile2:

thanks for the input guys

S

Back