New stove, what would you choose?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we only get down to -30 35 at the most but we near froze with it I had a friend with a blaze king and asked him about his b king, he said his burns less wood but same thing when its really cold he uses his gas heat and the blaze king, you pay for the name with blaze king they just don't put out much heat great for low heat and saving on wood, ask around before you consider this brand

I've had a Princess in my house since 2010, no issues here. Normally get 12-16hrs on a load of wood. (depending on outside temp)

I could easily make my house 85* if I wanted, even at the coldest temps. Not sure why yours didn't work right.

I watched a friend's place last winter, I forget the brand of stove, but a cheaper plate steel stove, a bit larger than my Blaze King.

Man what a pain, could barely get 6-7 hours on a load of wood.

You're the first I've ever heard have complaints about a Blaze King as far as it making heat.

I've had a Princess in my house since 2010, no issues here. Normally get 12-16hrs on a load of wood. (depending on outside temp)

I could easily make my house 85* if I wanted, even at the coldest temps. Not sure why yours didn't work right.

I watched a friend's place last winter, I forget the brand of stove, but a cheaper plate steel stove, a bit larger than my Blaze King.

Man what a pain, could barely get 6-7 hours on a load of wood.

You're the first I've ever heard have complaints about a Blaze King as far as it making heat.
ya maybe I had a dud, but I asked around not popular here, I know they burned a long time, just could not get heat when we needed it,

Thanks for all the opinions. I will look into tall these and see whats available locally. There is a local joutl dealer. Maybe see what they have to offer.

Seems some people have better luck with different brands of stoves, but i think it is all dependent on the house and layout, and the type and age of the fuel used.

We have that stove one size smaller. It's great. I just wish I hadn't let the salesman talk me into the smaller size.

I also like the F600, but would have to rearrange some things for the right side door orientation. They are a little expensive, but over the period of years with peasant use, the sting of the price would melt away. I once had a front loader that had to have the ashes scooped out and I hated that thing when I had to open it to load and coals fell out and about every four days when I had to scoop out the ashes and listen to the harping about the ash dust all over everything.

[QUOT
E="dave mclennan, post: 6354439, member: 143690"]no difference between cdn and us models very hard to believe our 2000 drolet ROCKS[/QUOTE]
The us stove 2000 country hearth don't draft well, I put a big chunk of red oak in it last year and the only way it would burn is to leave the door cracked, if I shut it the fire would go out. Us stove company is a waste of money

IMO

Stoves like Volgezang and USSC are cheap offshore made boxes with little thought to durability or efficiency.

Stoves like Drolet and Englander are made to a price point and sold in box stores but are still well made pieces of equipment manufactured in North America.

Stoves like Jotul and Blaze King are high quality, higher price point stoves sold in specialty stores.

Of course there are other brands out there but I think you get my drift. The OP is looking for the Goldilocks stove and the Big Drolet is probably it. I still think the Englander 30-nc could be a contender (20" log length 8hr burns and will take a 22")

Thanks for all the opinions. I will look into tall these and see whats available locally. There is a local joutl dealer. Maybe see what they have to offer.

Seems some people have better luck with different brands of stoves, but i think it is all dependent on the house and layout, and the type and age of the fuel used.
I ASKED my brother who has a quadra fire stove why he thought I could not get good heat from the blaze king, and your right its depends on the chimney, layout etc but why would a lower price drolet give off a lot of heat and the b king, suck? weird,

I think the BK King would be a good match for what little info was provided. I had mine for one season but decided to switch to a boiler. I was trying to heat a 1850 sqft ranch from my uninsulated full basement. It wasn't enough heat to heat my mail floor 75 or greater. Distribution of heat was my largest drawback. That and the losses from the uninsulated basement. Had the basement been insulated as a finished living space I think it would have worked fine. I also think it would have worked better if it was connected to an insulated chimney or chimney pipe instead of my clay lined flue. I could fit 76 lbs of wood in it and it would last 9 hours on high outputs. It would have 6-8" bed of coals after 9 hours, more than enough to heat left for another hour or two of coasting.

I'll prolly get bashed for this but I have a harman tl300 for 5 yrs just had to replace combustion chamber but wouldn't change it for the world heats my 2600sq ft home like a champ no complaints here

The BK King was one of the easiest stoves to operate and maintain. If you burn a fire 24/7 like I did just keep adding wood until the ash/coal bed was at the bottom of the door in the firebox (8" deep). Once a week empty the ash. Otherwise, reload and if the dial said it was in the active zone just close the bypass and let it run. Turn the thermostat air control to your desired comfort.

Lot of good opinions here so far. My chimney is brick with stainless insulated flex liner in it also. Which helps a lot for draft. My original stove just was awful.

I have the Blaze King Princess model free standing with the dual blowers .Heat is not an issue here in my old farm house but your mileage may vary. With the side shields on this stove even at this burn rate you can lay your hand on the sides till you get bored doing it. The stove pipe does not get much hotter.DSCF0342.JPG

For 2500 sq feet & non cat, I'd go with a big Jotul. I have a Jotul in the house, one in the shop & my son has a small Jotul. Great stove, can't beat em for quality!

[QUOT
E="dave mclennan, post: 6354439, member: 143690"]no difference between cdn and us models very hard to believe our 2000 drolet ROCKS
The us stove 2000 country hearth don't draft well, I put a big chunk of red oak in it last year and the only way it would burn is to leave the door cracked, if I shut it the fire would go out. Us stove company is a waste of money[/QUOTE]
drolet hs 2000 model made by north American tool I think but I pretty sure drolet are made in Quebec Canada dozens of drolets in our area but when I get the money to afford it our next will be JOTUL

Gotta say if I was shopping, BK would be at the top of my consideration list.
take a good look at how the blaze king is constructed, compared to say JOTUL its way OVERPRICED a lot of marketing involved with blaze king, to give the idea of quality, its not a bad stove just not worth the money there asking look at other models in that price range, and you will probably pass the b k by, the QUADRA FIRE IS TWICE the stove blaze king is with just as good burn times,

The BK King was one of the easiest stoves to operate and maintain. If you burn a fire 24/7 like I did just keep adding wood until the ash/coal bed was at the bottom of the door in the firebox (8" deep). Once a week empty the ash. Otherwise, reload and if the dial said it was in the active zone just close the bypass and let it run. Turn the thermostat air control to your desired comfort.

Yeah same here other than I only empty the ashes maybe once a month or so. Usually shovel out about 5 gallons worth.

Take a good look at how the Blaze King is constructed, compared to say JOTUL. It;s way OVERPRICED. A lot of marketing involved with Blaze King.
It's not a bad stove, just not worth the money they're asking. Look at other models in that price range, and you will probably pass the BK. The Quadrafire is twice the stove Blaze King is with just as good burn times.

I dunno, like I said before, it's a very popular stove around these parts. I think word of mouth sells the stove darn well.

As far as cost, I'm not sure. I paid about $2500 for mine, that's the Ultra model with the blower and nickle door (normally it's black). Granted that was 7 years ago. I know the chimney cost about as much as the darn stove!

The cheapest Quadrafire I can fine on their site is the Discovery and it's $2200. The other models are $3500, 3000 and $2700

Back