New to me 024AV Wood Boss... Long stroke?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warpig6

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here's my newly acquired 024AV. Got it from fearofpavement yesterday. It's a great running saw and pretty clean too. As pictured, the top cover reads Wood Boss 024 AV. It has a side chain tensioner as discussed in a previous thread.

Can anyone tell me if this is a long stroke 024? I might be interested in an 026 top end upgrade in the future...
a2eta4un.jpg
3uhe5ere.jpg
dapu4udu.jpg

Warpig6

I believe the 024 Super is only compatible with the 026 top end.

I have read that too. At some point there was discussion about all side tensioner 024's having an 026 crank though. It's a great saw either way. I'm just curious about the possibility of it having a longer stroke without the super badging.

Warpig6

Fell, limbed and bucked three trees today about this size with it. Saw ran great. I definitely see a muffler mod in its near future though.

Anybody else have some input on whether it could be a long stroke?

On another note, the loop of forester chain that fearofpavement put on this saw performed excellent! Didn't touch it with a file today, and it was slinging massive chips all the way to sundown.
hugeny2a.jpg

Warpig6

it's not a long stroke. the long stroke one has woodboss AVS on it. unless that is not the original top cover.
I guess a man would have to measure the stroke to be absolutely positive. Does anyone know the stroke of the 024 and the 024 Super right off?

I guess a man would have to measure the stroke to be absolutely positive. Does anyone know the stroke of the 024 and the 024 Super right off?
Found this posted before:

024: 42mm bore, 30mm stroke, 41.6 cc
024S: 42mm bore, 32mm stroke, 44.3 cc
026: 44mm bore, 32mm stroke, 48.7 cc
024 AVS is a Super.

024av stroke= 30mm
024avs stroke= 32mm
Side tensioner does not mean its a super. I own a 024avs with a front tensioner.
If you put a 026 p&c on a 024avs and you want to use the original top cover you have to mill the top cooling fins down for clearance

024av stroke= 30mm
024avs stroke= 32mm
Side tensioner does not mean its a super. I own a 024avs with a front tensioner.
If you put a 026 p&c on a 024avs and you want to use the original top cover you have to mill the top cooling fins down for clearance

But has anyone seen an 024AV with a side tensioner? I know the 028 Super had the front tensioner except for the last of the run when they went to the side tensioner. I had an 028 and 028 Super and both had the front tensioner. This 024 that Warpig6 has does have a side tensioner which apparently is uncommon on that model. He bought it assuming it was the AV and not the Super as that's how it's labeled but the actual identity of the saw is unknown. In my opinion, it cuts better than one would expect from the little 024AV engine so that is why there is an attempt to solve the mystery. Either way, I'm sure it's a good running saw that he'll be happy with...

But has anyone seen an 024AV with a side tensioner? I know the 028 Super had the front tensioner except for the last of the run when they went to the side tensioner. I had an 028 and 028 Super and both had the front tensioner. This 024 that Warpig6 has does have a side tensioner which apparently is uncommon on that model. He bought it assuming it was the AV and not the Super as that's how it's labeled but the actual identity of the saw is unknown. In my opinion, it cuts better than one would expect from the little 024AV engine so that is why there is an attempt to solve the mystery. Either way, I'm sure it's a good running saw that he'll be happy with...
Yes, but wouldn't it be sweet if that is a mislabeled super so he can have a chance for a 026.

My 024AV WB has the holes in the crankcase for both front and side tensioners. It was originally equipped with front tensioner, but I bought the side tensioner parts and converted it.
I even ground the center bar out of the clutch cover and added the tensioner access hole. can't even tell that the cover has been modified, except that it is the old style cover.

Thanks for all the replies fellars! The pictures that Shawn posted were the best example that I've seen of what's required to do an 026 upgrade. As FOP said, the mystery is the side tensioner on this saw. Anybody else have a known 024 AV (not super) with a side tensioner?

Thanks for all the replies fellars! The pictures that Shawn posted were the best example that I've seen of what's required to do an 026 upgrade. As FOP said, the mystery is the side tensioner on this saw. Anybody else have a known 024 AV (not super) with a side tensioner?

See my post above. My saw is definately not a super. I believe it was made in '86. That is the date etched on the original 16" bar.

See my post above. My saw is definately not a super. I believe it was made in '86. That is the date etched on the original 16" bar.
Thanks man! I must've been typing when you posted. I know my saw should be pre 1990, but that's the only clue I have about age. I'm going to attempt to measure the stroke through the spark plug hole with a depth gauge.

Latest posts

Back