New to me 2011 562XP Builder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kensie1988

Vintage Saw Maniac
Reaction score
So I've been doing research on all of the issues from the early 562XP saws and the Saw I'm getting is going to need chain brake parts and vibration mounts. That's all that was said was wrong with it, the P/C is clean, so I was wondering if there are any upgrades I should update the Saw with since they have been slowly improving the Saw through its lifespan.

I know from reading I should replace the crankcase bolts, is there anything else that should be done?

The older "5" series huskys turned an entire generation of diehard husky guys into reluctant stihl guys because the huskys proved to be completely unreliable. This is the correct answer.

Fix the inherent issues and you may have a good saw there.

Get the saw repaired and fire it up. Some of the saws with the older carb run just fine. If you don't have the bog you are all set.
Is there a video that I can watch that shows the big so I know what it sounds like?

Is there a video that I can watch that shows the big so I know what it sounds like?
Run the saw. If it bogs off idle then you have an issue. You can try running it for a while to see if it smooths out and if it doesn't then you can either choose to live with it or follow one of the many repair threads on here.

Run the saw. If it bogs off idle then you have an issue. You can try running it for a while to see if it smooths out and if it doesn't then you can either choose to live with it or follow one of the many repair threads on here.
Is your 562 one of the older or newer ones?

I saw dozens (or probably a couple of dozen and heard many more general horror stories) of the older 5 series 60-70cc class saws with complete engine failures and many long faces associated with same. Most of these were basically brand new saws with only a few run hours. JFTR without all the BS, the industry in which I mainly work employs hundreds of saw hands, sometimes a hundred on one job. During the course of the last about 10 years or at the advent of the silver and orange version of the whenever it happened Husky mistake the entire industry has changed over to Stihl. Guys still want to run their Huskys cause they run so nice when they run, but at least 9 out of 10 or more are still afraid of them, as they were a nightmare for the pro hand looking for a versatile-sized saw (60-80cc).

bad crank bearings, bad cranks, seized pistons. Just basically locked up stuff.

I could be wrong, but a 2011 saw could have potential for many issues. There are probably fixes for all of them and that's what the Op needs to figure out. He doesn't need to just "run it wide open till it fixes itself".

4 winters ago a father and son team of slashers had just bought 3 new 562-576's (can't remember how many of each). All of those saws did not last 2 weeks. A couple did not last 3 days. This was not unusual for those saws.

They have known issues and anybody that says different hasn't been paying attention.

I had a guy on a job this past winter (who normally runs a mulcher but goes back to a saw from time to time) who bought a new 562 because, like most, he prefers the way a husky feels (snappy, revvy, flippy) over a stihl (which are the only two brands you see in western Canada forestry other than an occasional Dolmar). He looked at me and I looked at him and we hefted the saw thinking "I hope this one hangs together". Pro saw hands in Western Canada are skeptical of Huskys now. Period.

I only bring this up because many men with many saws lost many monies trying to run Husky. I feel for them. It always costs money even with warranty (if they indeed are covered and many weren't) when you need your saw NOW to make your living.

I haven't seen the Huskys really coming back yet to an industry where they were 98 out of a hundred saws just a few short years ago.

Anyway, that's how lots of guys see it around these parts...

My LMAO is for the previous response, not the original post, which is a valid question. For every guy that comes on and says everybody and their brother now runs stihls because the 562 sucks so bad, theres 10 other guys that have had great success for many years, after the initial kinks were worked out.

My LMAO is for the previous response, not the original post, which is a valid question. For every guy that comes on and says everybody and their brother now runs stihls because the 562 sucks so bad, theres 10 other guys that have had great success for many years, after the initial kinks were worked out.

but the "initial kinks" lasted many years until you just don't see many Huskys in the oil exploration business in Western Canada any more when, at one time, there were no Stihls. This is a direct result of a run of at least 5 years when everybody slowly switched over due to too many issues with the silver and orange Huskys.

Most of these guys (at least any with long time experience) would rather run a Husky because of how they run, btw.

LMAO. as I knew there would be a LHAO around here somewhere.

Just going with the local lore which covers the majority of western canada and hundreds of guys.

Oh, and this is not coming from a fanboi whatsoever. I could care less what color it is.

Without trying to start an argument I think you are broad brushing a bit too much here holeycow. Some of the saws turned out to be duds yet many ran and still do run perfect.

The guy who has problems with a brand new saw is much more likely to spread his sorrows across saw forums than someone who is happy with their purchase and is busy cutting wood. In reality there's probably dozens to hundreds of happy customers for every unhappy one.

Like I said you were painting with a really broad brush. If these saws are as bad as you claim then Husqvarna would surely have closed their doors by now.

I had an early 562 i traded a tree carver friend of mine for.cyl+piston scored i chkd it over installed new top end ran it.had the typical early 562 bog.installed the updated carb ported and muffler modded it w/ no more problems. Liked the saw so much i bought another one. Now i want the red version too. I run saws commercially also own a ms 362 m saw. The 562 is a fine saw. Get the saw in good working condition and run it . If it has any of the issues fix them. They are an excellant saw

Back