New-to-me: Homelite C-72 and Skilsaw 1616

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris J.

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I took a little drive today, and came home with two saws, a Homelite C-72 and a Skilsaw 1616. My camera batteries started dying before I had a chance to photo the 1616.

Model Profile: C-72

The C-72 has compression, and pulls over pretty easily. This surprises me because the Homelite 450 (Craftsman 4.5) that I had would try to tear my arm off. The P&C look good through the exhaust. The piston has some very light scoring, and in the only piston photo that came out well you can see some darkening on the piston, which I'm pretty sure (hoping) it's just carbon marks.

I haven't put any fuel in it because it was stored with fuel, which smelled like varnish, the tank will need a good cleaning. There's also lots of carbon build-up in the exhaust, which will also need to be cleaned. When I pulled the AF the carb area was nearly spotless, unlike the rest of the saw. I'm not sure what that means, guess I'll find out when I get farther into the saw.

More on the Homelite C-72.

The bar has big chunk missing, the rakers are tiny nubs and the teeth aren't much better, & the sprocket rim needs replacing.

I'll add the Skilsaw 1616 info once I get some photos.

More on the Homelite C-72.

The bar has big chunk missing, the rakers are tiny nubs and the teeth aren't much better, & the sprocket rim needs replacing.

I'll add the Skilsaw 1616 info once I get some photos.

Chris,

Cool find, I have a C71 and a C91, the 71 is a runner, the 91 has a beat up P/C, I've got some parts if you'll be needing any.

Chris

Chris,

Cool find, I have a C71 and a C91, the 71 is a runner, the 91 has a beat up P/C, I've got some parts if you'll be needing any.

Chris

Chris, thanks for the parts offer! As far as I can tell the saw is complete, except for needing a b&c, and I probably have a spur sprocket that'll fit it.

Nice score Chris. The C-72 looks good and should clean up well. I really like these series Homelites - just good, reliable and simple!

Well done :clap:

Regards,

Chris.

Thanks, Chris, this was a deal too good to pass up.

I wonder how many other Chris' will post in this thread :)?

The light scoring is probably from hard carbon buildup in the exhaust port. Carefully clean that out and you'll be fine. The 4.5/450 has a much smaller starter pully than a C-Series saw (less mechanical advantage) an a higher compression ratio. The C/XP family isn't too hard to pull over until you move up to a healthy XP1000-1130G or 2000/2100/3100G.

Chris, thanks for the parts offer! As far as I can tell the saw is complete, except for needing a b&c, and I probably have a spur sprocket that'll fit it.

Thanks, Chris, this was a deal too good to pass up.

I wonder how many other Chris' will post in this thread :)?

Did somebody call???

Hey Chris, if you want to unload that C-91, I've got one I put a good slug and jug only to discover the crank was bad. Still haven't gotten around to finishing it.

Chris B.

Easy starting good running saws. If fuel was left in it you will probably need to replace the fuel line in the tank.

The C-72 will take an RK-88HL kit and uses 3/16"ID automotive fuel line from the tank fitting to the carb. 3/16" ID Tygon type line works fine inside the tank.

Eccentric posted the above info in the Homelite thread. I thought that I'd quote it here since not everyone follows the HL thread.

And now for the Skilsaw 1616 images (I hope).

Nope, photos won't "load" correctly--Once the photos "load" I get a red ! and the messages says not a valid image file. The images are JPEG files.

Edit--Still getting "This is not a valid image file."

I'll try later.

Last edited:
Let's see, hopefully these are in order.

Notice the like-new bar!
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back