New to me wood hauler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indiansprings

Firewood Purveyor
Reaction score
New to me Wood Hauler/ How to make a EZ dump conversion

Upgraded from the 1995 Dodge I have posted pictures on here before. The Dodge served well. I only give 1500.00 for it and being a diesel 3/4 ton 4X4 it was a hell of a buy even though it had 225k miles and the interior was rough.
The tranny gave out this fall and I decided it was time to move it rather than drop 2500.00 on a auto tranny. Sold it for 1500.00 with the tranny out.
I looked for another bank repo like the Dodge but they were all too high.

I bought a 2003 Chevy 3500 1 ton 4x4 gas truck and put a dump flat bed on it. The truck needed a hood and front grill as the owner had hit a deer. I gave 2400.00 for the truck and after repairs and the putting the dump on it I wound up with about 3500.00 in it as I had the bed and hydraulic electric pump. I used a 6 ton wagon hoist for the dump. It cost me 175.00 at a implement dealer. This thing will dump anything you put on it. I will never have another truck without a dump bed. My son and I put the bed on in a long/long day. I figure about anyone can convert their flat bed for about 750.00 if they do the labor. The bed will stand straight up if need be.

truckdumpbed001.jpg

IMG]http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af134/indianspringsfarm2010/dump%20truck/truckdumpbed005.jpg[/IMG]

truckdumpbed003.jpg

truckdumpbed002.jpg

IMG]http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af134/indianspringsfarm2010/truckdumpbed004.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited:
You got it right on. Nice truck, dump trucks big or small will make a believer out of most people. When I bought my tree truck I understood the concept but until you dump an entire 2 cords+ of wood that you load by hand you really begin to get it. My next dump will be something in the 5-6 yrd. size with an open top, coventional box.:D

I do need to get up toward Billings and see that splitter! The truck actually came from over NE of Aurora. That splitter fab looks like a very efficent machine. I need to take the time to convert mine.

I do need to get up toward Billings and see that splitter! The truck actually came from over NE of Aurora. That splitter fab looks like a very efficent machine. I need to take the time to convert mine.

Just send a pm and let me know when you wanna stop by.

You got it right on. Nice truck, dump trucks big or small will make a believer out of most people. When I bought my tree truck I understood the concept but until you dump an entire 2 cords+ of wood that you load by hand you really begin to get it. My next dump will be something in the 5-6 yrd. size with an open top, coventional box.:D

Here you go the perfect wood hauler for you.:D 16+ yards http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noOOj58MPrI I already dumped that load in my driveway at home so it comes empty I have two trucks in case you want more than one.:D

When I get the time, I've got an old 2 ton truck that is beyond reasonable repair, I'm going to make a 18 ft dump trailer to pull behind this one ton. It already has the hoist under it. I'll put a couple of hydraulic remotes on the back of the truck bed with a couple of bypass valves under the truck.

I didn't dream how much faster wood deliveries would be with a dump bed.
With no more than it cost to convert I'm amazed more people don't do it.

Do you have any pics with the bed down? Looks like you had to raise the bed about 4" off the truck frame, is that right? Also are you planning to pull a gooseneck with it? I see the ball in the bed and was wondering how it would ride being a dump now? I guess you could fabricate a way to put a couple of pins in each side at the front of the bed if there was any problems pulling a gooseneck.

Is it a J I manufacturing bed? It looks nice, bed and the truck!

Latest posts

Back