Thoughts on another wood hauler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Was digging around the for sale ads and found an ad for a truck with bad engine with 8x12ft flatbed and lift gate for $2k.

I got in touch with the owner, I was thinking the bed was worth the 2k if it was in decent shape. I could sell the lift gate and scrap the rest of the truck.

He send me a photo and the truck looks like it's in pretty good shape. Pic is from before he put it in his garage, he said it's got a new bumper on it now. I'm going to go look at it tomorrow, but kind of wondering if it'd be worth putting an engine in it.
He bought it from someone as-is (maybe from that business on teh door, not sure). Engine threw 2 rods.

99 K3500 (4x4). It's only a 1 ton, so not too sure what it'd need to decently handle 2 cords. It's a Vortec 350/4L80E. The C30 I'm running now I had to add some helper springs and Timbrens. It's got a tired 160hp 350 and 4 speed.

I can get a reman'd long block and incidentals (oil, hoses, belts, antifreeze, plugs, etc) for about $3000.

I have a low miles 91 F- Super Duty that needs a bed, so could put it on that truck. It's 2wd though.

image1.jpeg

They put 350's in everything. I wouldn't spend 3k on one but otherwise seems like a good setup.

If it was even remotely close to me. It would be sitting in my driveway right now. I'd sell the lift and add a dump scissors for what I would be using it for.

A 5.7 vortec is not a expensive engine to swap out. Especially if you have a half dozen :innocent:

Steven

Went to look at it yesterday and decided it was too much of a project.

The passenger fender is banged up grille/headlight area shoved into it). Drivers door needs the guts fixed (have to fight to open and close it, missing the lock too) pass door needs hinges. Not the end of the world stuff but it all means $$ and time.

The bed is pretty much the same bed I already have. If anything a bit lighter duty. Being it was a seal coat company, it's got sealer on the bed, some areas several inches thick.

I had originally discounted my bed as being too light duty for a dump, but I compared it to my current bed (which has hauled hundreds of cords) and it's about the same build. I'm going to just add some metal in a few areas.

Not a bad truck, GVWR is 12,500 so a bit heavier than I'm used to seeing in a 1 ton.

price is very fair, just too much project for me.

I can give you the guy's info if anyone is interested.
Engine is rebuildable, block was gone through by a machine shop, just would need crank, rods and pistons.

It seems like a dump trailer would be more convenient and more cost effective. Insurance comes to mind, cheaper to insure a trailer then a truck.

It seems like a dump trailer would be more convenient and more cost effective. Insurance comes to mind, cheaper to insure a trailer then a truck.

About the only benefit of a dump trailer would be cheaper registration and insurance. Otherwise dump trucks are better for me.

I have 2 already, a 5.5 cord truck and a 2 cord truck.
The 2 cord truck is very well worn out, so need to replace it as well as have at least 1 more.
Have 2 F450s to setup, the Chev I looked at would have either been #3 or its bed used for one of the F450s.

Dumptruck...

Much easier to get into delivery spots.

Less length... many customers I wouldn't be able to deliver with a trailer, it's quite a challenge with a truck even (block the street, area is slightly wider than the truck, a maze of trees or other obstacles, ultra steep, etc).

Higher so that means the dumped pile is higher (less spread). Some customers that doesn't matter, but others I only have a small spot to work with.

Easier to control a loaded truck vs empty truck and loaded trailer, especially on ice.

Less tires to buy (and chain up!)

Decent quality dump trailers are quite $$ (8-12k area)

Crap... License plate due tomorrow for gmc 5500.
Goes by weight gvw, $600.
The truck is rated 20,500 gvw. The plate is rated 24k.
If I tow a trailer, the truck plate has to cover cgvw or I'm in violation, even though the trailer is plated separate.
How does that make sense?
Insurance bill soon to follow I'm sure, about $700./year.
I've never used a dump trailer but what Valley is saying makes sense. I've been down quarter mile drives and no place to turn more than a car around if your backing it out of the garage to start with. One drive had such a steep dip that backing a loaded trailer with an empty truck probably would not have made it.
I have a delivery this week. Hope it starts after several month sitting.

You chain up trailer tires? For braking?
Should I have them for an rv trailer when traveling?

Latest posts

Back