New (to me) Wood Stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ceramic fiberboard is in as well as the new gaskets around the door and window. I now look like I have seen many mechanics appear. Black hands and arms, n black streaks on my face. But it's done!

The ceramic fiberboard really does rest directly on the tubes instead of above them on that ridge. AND it really only did need two of the tubes taken out. The gasket around the door required the use of black RTV stuff and according to the instructions, now I need to wait at least 24 hours before I fire the beast, dang it to heck!

Here's a picture of the fiberboard installed. I know you guys could have done a better job as well as quicker, but hey, I'm still green behind the ears. :msp_biggrin:
IMG_1619_zps06f0ead6.jpg

You will like it. handy as all get out and with a little work, year round veggies. Also a neat place to hang out in th winter, not so much in the summer....

Keep a jump on bugs inside, wipe them out on sight!

Also be prepared for a visit from the local heat, either when you are there, or they will just come sneek in and check it out. They just do it. Ours, at least twice so far that I am aware of.

Thanks for the insight! :msp_biggrin:

As for the LEO's, let em look. All they'll find will be a nice selection of veggies. Really, I doubt they would come by, I mean, just because I'm a biker with a greenhouse. If they're looking for pot, well, I might turn them on to some old pots I have lying around. That is if they talk nice and mind their manors. :laugh: Now if they sneak onto my property, well, I don't think I'd be so nice. :msp_scared: :laugh:

Call me cray, but I test fired the beast to check my work and to get familiar with it. It came up to temperature (500 degrees) within 20 minutes after the initial firing and continued to rise to about 650 degrees. There really was very little smoke even at the start. I did watch the secondaries kick in and after that I had to go outside. It was just plain to hot! I had fans running to pull the hot air out of the house but that didn't stop the temperature from getting to almost 90 degrees. It started at 73 degrees. But, it does work fine! It's a good thing I only made a small fire using Poplar!

I have this distinct feeling I'm really going to love this stove! :heart:
IMG_1631_zpse884494a.jpg

Just remember to try and keep your fuel supply at around 15% moisture wise. The Englanders really like dry fuel and will preform best that way. 20% is a bit marginal for them. ( according to my test meter) It will work ok but the difference is night and day. I stay toasty with a NC30 and that was a learning curve I found over a previous stove which also had secondary combustion and was about the same size as a NC13.

Just remember to try and keep your fuel supply at around 15% moisture wise. The Englanders really like dry fuel and will preform best that way. 20% is a bit marginal for them. ( according to my test meter) It will work ok but the difference is night and day. I stay toasty with a NC30 and that was a learning curve I found over a previous stove which also had secondary combustion and was about the same size as a NC13.

I went out and checked all of my wood piles to see how they were coming and split about a dozen or so random pieces out of the middle of the piles. There were some that were still a little above 20% at 23%, but most was below and the lowest of the bunch came in at 16%. Hopefully we have a good couple of months yet before any of us really need to think about firing our wood stoves. Then hopefully my firewood will be exactly in the range needed. I will definitely keep the 15% moisture in mind.

i have the nc13 in my bed room - there is a learning cure to running that stove for sure !!! once you figure it out , its a great little stove !

Y'all really must have a large bedroom or like it really Really REALLY hot in there.

As for the learning curve, I'm a quick study, listen well, and read lots. When the time comes everyone will think I'm an old pro! :msp_w00t: The reality is, I'm just old! :D

I went out and checked all of my wood piles to see how they were coming and split about a dozen or so random pieces out of the middle of the piles. There were some that were still a little above 20% at 23%, but most was below and the lowest of the bunch came in at 16%. Hopefully we have a good couple of months yet before any of us really need to think about firing our wood stoves. Then hopefully my firewood will be exactly in the range needed. I will definitely keep the 15% moisture in mind.

We started last year in late September!!! Winter never got cold, but it got coolish-cold and rainy and stayed that way for a long time.

Having a big ugly/bummer pile, we burned that for a long time, so never really finished off the official stack, had about 1.5 cord left over when we finally quit burning late spring. I moved that remainder and threw it on top of this years stack, see how it goes. The uglies and bummers pile is the largest ever though....

FAD

The only time the fiber board is pliable is when it comes out of the slurry tank. It then goes into a Lanly oven for 16 hours to cure. Gets sanded to thickness and sent out. We make it at work in our fabricated products department. Depending on what ceramic fiber they use in the slurry, the heat range is between 2300 and 3000 degrees F.

You can make your splits small for this stove - it will make life easier when stuffing it full for an over night burn.

Can you explain this in more detail?

I am about to install the same stove and as I've been splitting wood, I've been keeping a lot of fat, chunky pieces for overnight burns.

Am I going about this all wrong? :msp_confused:

In a stove of this size those 'fat, chunky' pieces will work if you keep the intake air on them with a good bed of coals underneath. If you're heating a smallish space it may be too much heat. In most cases the smaller splits on a bed of coals are more likely to give an even burn without blowing you out of the house. The burn can be regulated by the number of splits, type of wood, and how densely they're packed into the stove. It takes a bit of trial and error and some finesse to regulate the heat in smaller spaces without having to get up in the middle of the night to either add wood or open the windows.
Smaller splits also dry a lot faster.:hmm3grin2orange:
Great looking stove Storm!:msp_thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back