new to site, chainsaw reviews

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted 1/31...

Is 575 a POS?
Views: 1,299 Posted By danp76
Thanks guys, guess I'll keep my 575xp and run it...

Thanks guys, guess I'll keep my 575xp and run it as many have suggested. I was only concerned that it didn't have much more power than the 357xp, but apparently it does...Right?...on paper on 1hp...

***Today is 2/4 and from what I am reading you have not run it nor returned it, think it might be time to make a decision? :computer2:

Reactions: WRW
I wonder if maybe you are expecting too much from the saws. This isn't a dig, but if you spend much time around here you expect a 'high power' saw to motor through concrete without any strain, all while standing on it. No saw can do that. Newer saws take a lighter touch than the old reed valve motors. I use an 041 and my 441 anymore and the 2 couldn't be more different. The 041 runs low rpm and is torquey, while the 441 screams with a bunch of hp. You can dig the 041 in and lean on it and it'll keep cutting. The 441 requires a lighter touch, but will out cut the 041 anyday.

Keep in mind that as long as you keep your chains sharp and the saw in it's powerband, it will cut....and fast.:chainsaw: :chainsaw: :chainsaw:

old saws vs new saws

I know the new saws are much more user friendly, and easier to use. My father loves his old Dayton and Mc coulloch saws that he has... He claims they have more grunt and you can't stop them, he feels the new ones are like toys compared to the new ones...any truth to this? He seems to think the old ones have the grunt and you can't stop them through a log while the new ones don't have the torque. I still haven't raced him through any big logs yet....just curious..he has a dayton 4.5 cubic inch saw, a giant remington 5 or 6 cubic inch from the 60's and a few old mc culloch's from the 50's and 60's. I have a 357xp and a 575xp*** haven't used 575xp yet....

Husky has addressed the cold blodded/acceleration issue on the 575's, by switching to a different carb. I don't have the part number with me, but I can post it from the store tomorrow if anybody wants. I'm not sure if the new saws have it or not, since I only scanned the service bulletin quickly.

As far as the "sawing isn't for wimps" comment, I'm afraid that you made yourself look kind of silly with that remark. There are some BIG dudes that come into my store, who work with a saw all day, and they do not like the weight increase of the 575 over the 372. These guys could throttle you with one hand while not spilling the beer in their other. They are by no means wimps. Simply said, nobody likes additional weight.

Don't race him.Why take a notch out of the love he has for them old saws?
Better yet take an interest in them old saws.The ol' man won't be here forever.
JUst my 2 cents

I hear you Spike on the weight over all day work, but who says I'm a wimp? Guys I'm curious to know if my new 575xp has the latest carb, let me know how I can tell...thanks

I agree with him to some degree.

I have a 50cc Jonsered 525 that I bought new in '84.
I also have a 50cc Jonsered 2150 that I bought a couple months ago.
That old Jonsered is twice the saw as this new one. It may be a bit heavier than the new one but it's built twice as strong and has much more useable power than the new one. It's 20 years old and still going strong and I'm sure will still be around when this 2150 is under the bench in pieces.

But hey, I've also got a brand new MS460 and that's one hell of a saw!

Jim

Dan, If you are that worried about the 575 then take the trade offer your dealer gave you and dump the saw..............no amount of support from us will make that saw what you want it to be!!!

If you are less than impressed with the 357 you will not like the 575!!!

I personally find the 357 to be a nice saw. Did you get eneough breakin time on that 357 yet???

My only tiny bit of info I have is the 575xp I have been around is not as durable as the 372 we have. That is all I have to tell. you.
Jared

not overly concerned with the 357xp as far as power because I want it for my mid-range saw. I want a more powerful saw to handle the "big stuff" when I need it...a saw that won't bog or wimp out in large oak, etc.

husky 372 vs 575xp

I know the majority likes the 372 over the 575xp is it mainly beacuse of the extra pound...As a newbie, I have to question didn't HUSQVARNA KNOW THIS????? I mean with all the reasearch and development that they have why would they want to design and come out with an inferior product?? It doesn't seem to make any sense...is it because they are bound by new emission regsulatoins and had no choice?...seems unlikely..they are a big player in the saw market seems like too much of a gamble to make a flop product in this saw range...what do you think guys???

The weight is one thing............the way it runs is another!!!

The 441 weighs more and am I not bothered by that. But the 441 runs more like a 372 than a 575 does!!!

The 575 is no 372............end of discussion!!!

Dan you really need to run some of these saws to gather and form your own opinion.............asking us ain't gonna do it for ya!!!

just like reading car reviews, it helps direct someone in a direction to go to, and stay away from..if the census is sucky on a product, generally people stay away, whether it be a saw, car, tv, etc...

You can see by my signature I have some real good saws. Have gathered those in the past 6 months.
But my homelite XL1 with a 18 bar 3/8 chain 145 compression did it all before. I cut a fir that was 30in across last summer. I cut and cut and cut, it was 60 feet long. That homelite never missed a beat, got real warm a few times though. I will never bad mouth that saw, never breaks or stops. I bought it used 25 years ago and have no plans on letting it go!!!! Its shows they were good old saws and there are probably more old saws running on farms etc than we will ever know about. Here is one to old saws.:cheers: :cheers:

Those old saws were slow reving and had a ton of torque. Thats why they dont bog down in the cut like a newer saw will if you load it up to much.

You wont actually be cutting as fast as a GOOD modern saw, but it will just keep chugging away no matter what you do :laugh:

Therefore it 'seems' like it has more power.

I agree, when your Dad talks about it, Smile and Nod. Those old saws are cool, but the weight / vibration / lack of safety features will keep me on a modern saw for normal use.

Cheers

Ian

Chipper shoot backwards

This will sound like a dumb question but I was just wondering something. Our Morbark 2400 takes a bounding just driving around town, It would make sence that if the chipper shoot was turned backwards it wouldn't bounce so much? Is this a fact? The swiveling handle is not working to good and it would take somework to get it to easily turn 360 degrees. Anyone do this regularly? Thanks

The search function works, how many times in one week do we need to rehash the same saws? All of this has been discussed at length, and a great portion of it has been discussed in the last 2 weeks! You and Stan1966 need to meet up, and debate till the cows come home. Rich let's go cut some wood!

Last edited:
danp...you need to get off your ass and run your 575...form your own opinion for god's sake:sucks: :sucks: :sucks:

not overly concerned with the 357xp as far as power because I want it for my mid-range saw. I want a more powerful saw to handle the "big stuff" when I need it...a saw that won't bog or wimp out in large oak, etc.

From what I gather from your posts and what I think you are looking for, I think I'd go for the 460.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back