new to site, chainsaw reviews

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The 441 weighs more and am I not bothered by that. But the 441 runs more like a 372 than a 575 does!!!
I can not say this is true after running both the 575 and the 441. Power is very comparable between the two and the both weigh nearly the same.
The 372 makes the same power, but weighs a lb or so less. The 372 is also dead reliable, while the 575 isnt.

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

why do folks still reply to his threads? not to be rude but as a nube myself who isnt on here as much as the big posters im already starting to twitch everytime i see a thread by dan76. you folks are far more polite than most sites i frequent...

The weight is one thing............the way it runs is another!!!

The 441 weighs more and am I not bothered by that. But the 441 runs more like a 372 than a 575 does!!!

The 575 is no 372............end of discussion!!!

Dan you really need to run some of these saws to gather and form your own opinion.............asking us ain't gonna do it for ya!!!

I can not say this is true after running both the 575 and the 441. Power is very comparable between the two and the both weigh nearly the same.
The 372 makes the same power, but weighs a lb or so less. The 372 is also dead reliable, while the 575 isnt.

The way I saw the 575 was that it wasn't the revver that the 372 is!

The way I saw the 575 was that it wasn't the revver that the 372 is!
IMO the operating characteristics of the 575 and the 441 are quit similar. Both have more grunt than the saws they replaced with about equal to slightly less power. To say the 575 is inferior to the 441 based on power to weight would be false. To say its inferior based on its reliability record, cold starting or use of a rev limiter would be well founded IMO.

you know there are several Internet dealers that carry the 75cc version of the 372 for around $619 or so.

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

I know the new saws are much more user friendly, and easier to use.

I'd agree

My father loves his old Dayton and Mc coulloch saws that he has... He claims they have more grunt and you can't stop them, he feels the new ones are like toys compared to the new ones...any truth to this?

Yup, they do tend to have more grunt but they also cut slower owing to their slower chain speed. Since they turn a lot slower they require huge sprockets to get the same chain speed as the new saws, at which point their torque benefits are largely gone and you're left with a big, heavy saw that keeps throwing chains on account of the huge 9-pin sprocket it is running, and even then it doesn't cut any faster than a lighter, smaller saw.

He seems to think the old ones have the grunt and you can't stop them through a log while the new ones don't have the torque.

Ok, he's probably right. But they were born of a different era, where revs were kept low because the saws would last longer that way. Bad 2-stroke oil technology, low-tech bearings, stuff like that, it conspired to favor a low-revving torquey saw. As technology improved folks found that production could increase with a faster saw that took smaller bites, cut a narrower kerf, and whatnot. I think that it is telling that saw technology has moved away from the torque monsters of the 1960s and hasn't made any great efforts to return to that design philosophy.

I still haven't raced him through any big logs yet....just curious..he has a dayton 4.5 cubic inch saw, a giant remington 5 or 6 cubic inch from the 60's and a few old mc culloch's from the 50's and 60's. I have a 357xp and a 575xp*** haven't used 575xp yet....

Well, sounds like it is high time to do some side-by-side comparisons, doesn't it? Or at the very least to put some damned gas in your 575 and run it.

Fill the tank, and pull the cord.

DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

why do folks still reply to his threads? not to be rude but as a nube myself who isnt on here as much as the big posters im already starting to twitch everytime i see a thread by dan76. you folks are far more polite than most sites i frequent...

Sometimes it is hard to tell between the genuinely curious first-time buyer, the tire-kicker, and the bench racer. I figure that there is no harm in assuming that a guy is genuinely curious and offering a helpful response whenever possible, and I suspect that most guys on here feel the same way.

But there comes a point where one cannot help but think that someone must be a tire-kicker or a bench racer or even a troll when he keeps asking questions which (a) have been covered AT LENGTH around here on MULTIPLE OCCASIONS and (b) when he is unwilling to actually go out and apply the knowledge he has gained.

The comparison between posting here and reading vehicle versus vehicle shootouts in automotive magazines does make for an interesting analogy, but the truth is that there is a substantive difference between comparing $600 saws and $90,000+ automobiles: if you want to compare the saws, you can very easily go buy them and personally compare them! Seriously, for less than two thousand dollars Dan76 could go out and buy a 575, 372, and 441 and try them out. And when he was done he could sell two of them off and get most of his money back on those two saws.

At the end of the day the truth is that there really isn't that much real-world difference between the saws that Dan76 keeps asking about, and any "which is best" is going to come down to pure personal preference. They all cut wood, they're all pretty reliable, they all will run a 28" bar. But he'd know that already if he actually bothered to read the multiplicity of threads on the saws he keeps asking about. But no, I guess we're just supposed to keep answering the same questions over and over. Oh well, I tried to be helpful, for what good that did. I give up. :confused:

Fill the tank, and pull the cord.

DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!

I know if I had a brand new saw sitting here...I wouldn't be spending all my time on the internet asking everyone else how good my saw was,or how it compared to other saws :chainsaw:

:cheers: :rock:
Sometimes it is hard to tell between the genuinely curious first-time buyer, the tire-kicker, and the bench racer. I figure that there is no harm in assuming that a guy is genuinely curious and offering a helpful response whenever possible, and I suspect that most guys on here feel the same way.

But there comes a point where one cannot help but think that someone must be a tire-kicker or a bench racer or even a troll when he keeps asking questions which (a) have been covered AT LENGTH around here on MULTIPLE OCCASIONS and (b) when he is unwilling to actually go out and apply the knowledge he has gained.

The comparison between posting here and reading vehicle versus vehicle shootouts in automotive magazines does make for an interesting analogy, but the truth is that there is a substantive difference between comparing $600 saws and $90,000+ automobiles: if you want to compare the saws, you can very easily go buy them and personally compare them! Seriously, for less than two thousand dollars Dan76 could go out and buy a 575, 372, and 441 and try them out. And when he was done he could sell two of them off and get most of his money back on those two saws.

At the end of the day the truth is that there really isn't that much real-world difference between the saws that Dan76 keeps asking about, and any "which is best" is going to come down to pure personal preference. They all cut wood, they're all pretty reliable, they all will run a 28" bar. But he'd know that already if he actually bothered to read the multiplicity of threads on the saws he keeps asking about. But no, I guess we're just supposed to keep answering the same questions over and over. Oh well, I tried to be helpful, for what good that did. I give up. :confused:

computeruser

you have been very patient and helpful as usual! Above and beyond IMO! Good job! :clap: :clap: :clap: I got frustrated reading all of it.

I'd rep ya if I could.

Are you thinking what I am thinking ;)

I dunno, I am thinking something to, is it the same thing you are thinking, you are thinking I am thinking you are thinking? Cause what I am thinking may be totaly different than what you and he are thinking, and what you are thinking might be a different way of thinking than I am thinking you are thinking!!! Know what I am thinking now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back