New to site

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kstidham

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello
I am new to the site, and need advice.
I have an 028av super that runs great still has great compression (153). The saw has set more then been used so i am affaird of damaging it use it now. I was told its around 30 years old. So i am tring to decide wether or not to buy a new saw. I am thinking about the 391. What are the pro's and con's of this saw. I will be cutting fire wood for myself and freinds with there help also, example we cut 15cord in one day already and have several other days of this type of work planned.

Hello
I have an 028av super that runs great still has great compression (153). The saw has set more then been used so i am affaird of damaging it use it now. I was told its around 30 years old. So i am tring to decide wether or not to buy a new saw. I am thinking about the 391. What are the pro's and con's of this saw. I will be cutting fire wood for myself and freinds with there help also, example we cut 15cord in one day already and have several other days of this type of work planned.

Your 028 super may be old but its still a good saw. You may want to replace the fuel lines, filter and do a general cleaning. The 391 is a homeowner clamshell saw, and isn't built a well as your 028. However it is a larger saw at , I believe, 64cc's compared to around 52cc's(not sure of actual size) for your super. 15 cords is a lot of wood for 1 days work and I believe you would get more longevity with a professional series saw as opposed to a homeowners saw.

Your 028 super may be old but its still a good saw. You may want to replace the fuel lines, filter and do a general cleaning. The 391 is a homeowner clamshell saw, and isn't built a well as your 028. However it is a larger saw at , I believe, 64cc's compared to around 52cc's(not sure of actual size) for your super. 15 cords is a lot of wood for 1 days work and I believe you would get more longevity with a professional series saw as opposed to a homeowners saw.

Welcome, +1 on the 391 homeowner not tuff enough, might step up to a pro type saw if your worken the old gals like that.

Cary

Hello

Welcome to AS!

Your 15 cords, are they a full cord? 4' X 4' X 8' when stacked? If so...that's an impressive amount of wood for a day! IMO!

I like the way you guys work! Helping others out! I'm trying to get that type of working together other places too!

It never hurts to have another saw. If you can swing it....

If you stick around this site...you'll have a few more saws.... I've learned a lot from here. The best thing I've learned is a sharp chain with the depth gauges (aka....rakers, drags...) properly set is your best cutting tool! As long as you have an engine to move a sharp chain you're ahead of the game!

Yea, there are a lot of definitions for a cord of wood. My dear daparted dad used to always question me about my cord size. His comments were: is at a stove cord(18in. by 4 by 8), fireplace cord( 2 by 4 by 8) or a full cord(4X4X8)?
He never mentioned that undefined "face cord".

Bob

Welcome to AS!

15 cords is alot for a day; 391 could do it but get a pro saw and it will be easier on the saw and you :smile2:

yea 15 cord was an all day job for us. We had 3 guys with saws, 2 with husky's xp's and my stihl. 4 kids 2 log spliters.I am the different one in the group. They keep pushing me to a husky but i tring to resist and stay with a stihl.
So if the 391 wouldn't keep up xp's with an 20inch bar what would be better choice. I think after tonight with the 028 i need a new one.
After cutting on my 26in diameter suger maple for a tank of fuel it wouldn't restart :msp_sad: till i took the air cleaner cover off and turned the ideal up. Then when it started running it was spitting gas back out the filter??

Latest posts

Back