New to the forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spidermonkey17

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just would like to say hello and hope everyone is having a great Friday.

Just would like to introduce myself and ask a couple of questions, I have a degree in horticulture with a focus in turf ( i know i know) i worked with a firm that built/re modeled golf course nation wide so construction, irrigation and also fertilization and spraying are in my background. Decided to make a change and so far it has been a very very good change. The company i am working for is great and have already learned a lot. Just looking for some information about good study material to bring me back up to speed. I already have my certified horticulture license and also my commercial spray license both in turf and ornamental. Just looking for more information about arborculture( identification, etc) Like i said before my background is in in horticulture, just been a while since i have had to really use it. Once again its great to be here and also to be part of this community. Hope to talk to ya ll soon and be safe out there.

Welcome to the site
Baileys has some good books to read up on just go check out their site through the advertisement thingy above.
:rock:
mitch95100

Yes, welcome. I'm older than a lot of these guys, so my list of reading material may be a little antquated, but still worthy of reading. My favorite is P.P. Perone's book on Tree Care. Much of the technology has changed but I still like it. Anything by DR. Alex Shigo, and as mentioned, click on Bailey's site and check out their book list, Joe.

Welcome to the club! You have definitely come to the right place for information. Folks here know what they are talking about for sure!

Where to start

Hello:
I'm very new to the forum. So new I have no idea where and how to post questions. BUT I'm keen to figure it out because this site seems THE place to get valid answers. I have a problem which should prove an interesting case study. An old carob tree (estimate 70-80 years old). We made the mistake of covering the root system around the trunk (approx 20 feet) with decomposed granite and flagstone. A couple of years later the tree has literally started to weep (I'll try and attach photos). Lots of yellowing leaves but the good news is there is much new growth all over the tree.

I realize now that covering exposed roots is a real no-no but is there any hope and/or remedial action (short of removing our $10-15k landscaping). Thanks for any thoughts or advice Not even sure if this is being posted to the right forum.
dseisun
858-451 6080
[email protected]

Hello:
I'm very new to the forum. So new I have no idea where and how to post questions. BUT I'm keen to figure it out because this site seems THE place to get valid answers. I have a problem which should prove an interesting case study. An old carob tree (estimate 70-80 years old). We made the mistake of covering the root system around the trunk (approx 20 feet) with decomposed granite and flagstone. A couple of years later the tree has literally started to weep (I'll try and attach photos). Lots of yellowing leaves but the good news is there is much new growth all over the tree.

I realize now that covering exposed roots is a real no-no but is there any hope and/or remedial action (short of removing our $10-15k landscaping). Thanks for any thoughts or advice Not even sure if this is being posted to the right forum.
dseisun
858-451 6080

I'm not familiar with the Carob Tree, but in the pics it looks quite healthy. Your spacing of the flagstone still lets water through, it's not like you poured concrete around the tree. I just did a Google search and it says the Carob likes dry soil, does not like waterlogged soil, so I'd say your landscaoping is not hurting the tree. Is your problem the sticky substance dripping from the tree? That may be a characteristic of the tree or insect damage. Start a new thread with your question. Just look to the left of the screen, under all of the advertising, and you will see a box that says Post New Thread, just click on it, Joe.

thank you

Hello:

dseisun
858-451 6080

I'm not familiar with the Carob Tree, but in the pics it looks quite healthy. Your spacing of the flagstone still lets water through, it's not like you poured concrete around the tree. I just did a Google search and it says the Carob likes dry soil, does not like waterlogged soil, so I'd say your landscaoping is not hurting the tree. Is your problem the sticky substance dripping from the tree? That may be a characteristic of the tree or insect damage. Start a new thread with your question. Just look to the left of the screen, under all of the advertising, and you will see a box that says Post New Thread, just click on it, Joe.

Thank you Joe and Jeff. I started a new thread "carob tree weeping".
Will keep fingers crossed that the weeping is temporary.

Latest posts

Back